1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Remo practice pads as triggers?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by eddies880, Sep 5, 2005.

1. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

Im looking into getting some remo practice pads,taking them apart,placing the trigger inside the unit,making my own drum set for use with my DM5.
    I say one on a drum set made from pvc,and remo practice pads,with the piezo trigs in the practice pads---------its dooable!
    Anyone done this??????
    Does anyone have the remo practice pads----------------cause if you do-----I have a lot of quesrtions :wink:
  2. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Distinguished Member

Feb 9, 2005
    South Florida
    Home Page:
    Absolutely doable. I did this like 10 years ago.

Takes a bit of trial and error to get the trigger placed where it triggers properly, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying electronic pads.
  3. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

I have a set of DDrum redshots I plan on using,bolting them to the remo pads,and see what gives.
    I saw a set on ebay where the home made piezo was placed inside the remo head,Id rather use my ddrum triggers,seeing as how I already have them.
    Question: Are the remo practice heads soft/semi soft foam padding,or are they a semi real drum heads?/or are they jells?
  4. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Distinguished Member

Feb 9, 2005
    South Florida
    Home Page:
    I don't know if the redshots will work well with practice pads. I don't think they'll be able to track the velocity well.

I don't remember what brand of practice pads there were. They had a drum head cover, with grey outer rings. They used Rubber inserts.
  5. MadTiger3000

MadTiger3000 Active Member

Nov 16, 2004
  6. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2001
    I use an small .. 8 or could be a 6 inch remo as my kick PAD

I've busted it a few times and the strengthening mod is getting bigger and I use more epoxy each time.

I use a failed CDR for a plate ... inside (see the above web site)

I like the feel of it better than the Pillow Pad from Gibraltar.

Remos are good for extras but as a main snare or hat I find the plastic suround a liitle off putting when you miss hit.

Simple - don't miss hit
    err yeah ... but I am a crap drummer and I do.

I've tried using rubber around the surround and it helps.

Make your first DIY pad with a remo and then you may get the urge to do more. I like small cheap toms cut in half with a mesh head and roland style cones.

shut up kev

this group has been hiting diy pads for quite a long time