1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

remote recording...

Discussion in 'Recording' started by johnthemainliner, Apr 13, 2004.

1. i am planning on recording some future concerts of my band. we are a three piece rock band, and our current gear will have to suffice, due to lack of funds. i would like to get a piece of equipment that would let me just stream my live audio to some sort of digital tape/cd, whatever. it would be great to get something that would allow recording of 8 or so tracks, but unfortunately money is limiting for young musicians like myself. i have a great laptop and software for editing, so i dont need one of those multitrack workstations, i am looking for something to only capture and store my audio, then i will transfer the files to my daw. here's what i have to offer... thanks in advance!

laptop (pc) w/ n-track, cool edit pro 2
    motu 828 interface (firewire)
    one condenser mic
    4 dynamic mics
    4 piece drum mic kit

2. noit

noit Guest

since you have a laptop why don't you just bring it? THen you will have 8 tracks to work with latter like you want. Plus, it's free because you already have it.

I don't know what will be going into consol/PA so I can't help you with configureation. But, I would try to work in a pair of room mics out in the audience for ambience/reverb.

3. noit

noit Guest

If you do bring the laptop I would practice recording the whole band a couple times before hand. You don't want to be all crowded around a computer troubleshooting while your fans are waiting.

4. i dont know how stable my laptop would be after a while or recording. i use it now to record short 3-5 minute tracks/songs and it works great. i wanted something i could setup, hit record, and be worry free for the next hour or recording. anybody know of software or a technique to use on a laptop to allow for this long of recording with no trouble? I use n-track, might get mackie's tracktion, but i dont know.