1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Reproducing Vader Voice

Discussion in 'Composing / Producing / Arranging' started by mercurix, Mar 12, 2006.

Tags:
  1. mercurix

mercurix Active Member

Hey, I was wondering if anyone here knew which plugins and stuff to use to do a Darth Vader style voice and breathing sounds? Thanks a lot.

2. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

Hell cupping your hands over a 58 should do the effect for you. However to get that deep, thickness you need james earl jones.

3. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

There was an interview with the sound designer for Star Wars. One of the questions was how he got the voice quality for Darth Vader. Maybe you can find it on the web or on one of the Star Wars disks. I think part of the sound was recording someone in an oxygen mask for the breathing and some where I remember something to do with that device that was popular back in the 70's where you had a speaker attached to a tube that you put into your mouth and it was used for special effects. Best bet would be to see the question and answer part with the sound designer.

4. David French

David French Well-Known Member

5. Thomas W. Bethel

mercurix

You asked if any one know how to recreate Darth Vaders voice style. You cannot do it with plugins if you want to recreate the actual voice "sound" that is not the way it was done. Sound designers get paid BIG MONEY to figure these things out. Poeple are just trying to help you.

6. mercurix

mercurix Active Member

Oh, I know man. I wasnt trying to undermine that. Thanks for the input. It's just that i need a way to get close to the vader voice. I read it can be done with a vocoder, but I dont know where to get a free RTAS or VST vocoder for OSX, nor would I know how to use it very well, since i've never experimented with a vocoder. Any extra help with that would be appreciated, but really, thanks for the input up to now.

7. TVPostSound

TVPostSound Guest

Eventide Harmonizer H3000 was the norm in post mixing in the 70s and 80s.

Check eventide.com for their anthology plugins.

8. Thomas W. Bethel

Re: ..

I see Harmonizers for sale once in a great while on ebay or at GC why don't you see if you can find one somewhere or if you don't want to buy one call around to studios in your area to see if anyone has one that they would let you rent or run you stuff though it. If it is important to your creative process I would try to find one to experiment with.

An aside. I have found that in most cases Plugins that are free are worth every cent you pay for them.

9. saemskin

saemskin Active Member

If anyone finds this mysterious article I would like to read it.

10. Thomas W. Bethel

Found this on line Darth Vader Voice Changer at http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue426/cool.html maybe it is what you are looking for.

You might also want to read this http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/voiphks/chapter/hack11.pdf

11. Thomas W. Bethel

Lots of articles on Ben Burtt, sound designer for Star Wars.

http://www.filmsound.org/starwars/burtt-interview.htm

http://www.usc.edu/dept/pubrel/trojan_family/autumn01/alumninews/alumni_profile_Burtt.htm

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darth_Vader
    The iconic breathing sound of his respirator was created by sound designer Ben Burtt, who created the sound by simply recording himself breathing into an old Dacor scuba regulator.

If you really want to hear the whole interview you will have to rent or buy the movie.

12. mercurix

mercurix Active Member

That second link seems interesting man...thanks...the only thing is I can't find a voice changer like that Blaze Audio for Mac.

13. KyroJoe

KyroJoe Guest

Most of the original Star Wars EP.IV sound effects were made very cheap.

You could achieve a similar vocal effect by picking up a 26in to 48in gift wrap tube or poster-type packing tube, put a mic off one end, put your mouth at the other end and talk loudly through it.

One of their coolest effect recordings was made by striking a metal bar on the high tension guy wires that run down to the ground from sides of a metal tower.

drawing1.JPG
    bergey13.jpg

Hope that helps,

KJ
    ---------------
    Kyro Studios

14. Thomas W. Bethel

Before you go WACKING guy wires be aware that there are sometimes high voltages around these towers and if you break an insulator (made out of ceramic) it could have some dire consequences. Best to get permission before you wack one. Also some guy wires are in high RF fields and you could be putting your self at risk healthwise.

Just a suggestion

15. KyroJoe

KyroJoe Guest

Yes Tom,

Not that I was suggesting that you go whack guy wires...
    I was explaining how they achieved some cool light saber sounds without using computers.

I think even Tom would agree the gift wrap or poster tube is OK and safe to try!! LOL! :cool:

Of course you should always get permission if you're recording your effects using someone else's property. :!:

NEVER touch an AM radio tower while standing on the ground... You won't be standing there long if you do!

The RF fields won't bother you at all unless you've got a pacemaker or you climb between 2 microwave transceivers. (Think Microwave Oven).

When I was 18-20 years old, before I wised up and went to university, I used to be a Tower Rigger.

KJ
    -----------------
    KYRO Studios

16. Thomas W. Bethel

KyroJoe,

Understood, but sometimes people in on line forums take what others say literally. I did not want someone having a shocking experience when they touch something they were not suppose to.

You can also get some really cool voices by talking down a very long length of plastic pipe or with a funnel and hose and a microphone at the other end. May not be Darth Vader but you may get some interesting effects.

Have fun and stay away from guy wires.

17. DVStomp

DVStomp Guest

Vader voice

You can use MorphVOX with a combination of the Hell Demon and I, Robot voices tweaked to make a very cool Darth Vader voice. Use the trial version it has all the features active to tweak the right sound.

Get it at http://www.screamingbee.com