1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Ribbon Microphone Tuner (Tensioner) Project

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by guitartoys, Sep 19, 2016.

1. guitartoys

guitartoys Active Member

Jan 16, 2016
    McLean, VA
    Hello again, just though I’d post a recent update on my quest to make re-ribboning a ribbon microphone easier.

This time up, a Ribbon Tuner (Tensioner) jig. This has interchangeable carriers for different ribbon microphone trusses. So far I’ve made Carriers for Rick’s (http://www.diyribbonmic.com/parts/) truss, in addition to carriers for an MXL R80 and an MXL R144 ribbon microphone. This way you can print one jig, and then use a carrier for your specific mic.

This acts as both a jig to help you install and properly align a ribbon in the trust, in addition to allowing you to fix one end of the ribbon, and have the other end affixed on a moving end, to allow you to use a screw to move the moving end to put tension on the ribbon. Once you get the tension right, you can lock down the other end of the ribbon.

While a number of folks already have the means to tune the ribbon (either with a strobe or other electrical means), this will allow you to use your own electronics for that purpose. Next up, will be a little Arduino controlled device, which will output a signal to feed the ribbon (1Hz to 100Hz in 1Hz increments, and adjustable gain), along with a strobe, so you can watch the ribbon as you make tension adjustments to the ribbon. After that, I intend to modify the circuit to allow a stepper to make the adjustments automatically, if I can get it to work well.

But in the meantime, you can use this jig to re-ribbon a truss and use your own methods to tune it.

If you are interested in me designing a carrier for a particular ribbon truss, just let me know. I will be happy to make one for you. But you will probably need to send me the truss, so I can do the design work.

Please check out my instructable

I of course welcome your feedback.

2. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Resource Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    Home Page:
    Interesting !
    A bit out of my league being an home studio.. but it's nice to see the unit and how it works..