RNC a "pro" compressor?

Discussion in 'Compressors / Limiters' started by ametth, Apr 4, 2001.

1. ametth

ametth Guest

Would you all consider the RNC a "pro" compressor?

2. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Very much so.

3. Blue Bear Sound

Blue Bear Sound Active Member

Can you expand a bit Fletcher? Given the scenario of a "big-boys" commercial studio with a large gear budget, which are they more likely to purchase - the RNC, the Drawmer Mercenary Edition 1969 Vacuum Tube, or the Manley All-Tube and why or why not?

(I already own a couple of RNCs and plan to buy more, but I'm curious to know where they sit relative to the upper-end of the compressor scale)

Thanks,
    Bruce

4. Blue Bear Sound

Blue Bear Sound Active Member

Never mind Fletcher... I got my answer from you in another post here!

Thanks!
    Bruce

5. MISTERQCUE

MISTERQCUE Guest

Yo' ammeth(odone) :), I strongly recommend you go and check 1 out if you can. After Bruce's constant praising of how effective this little unit is, I just had to go out and get 1 and it was well worth the money!

6. ametth

ametth Guest

Q, I have two of the little ugly unit's and I've always considered them a piece of pro equipment, they really are a useful tool. I was just amazed when a thread in another forum changed it's focus to the RNC *not* being a pro compressor, when it clearly is.

7. hargerst

hargerst Active Member

If there is a discussion about clean, clear, transparent compression with no artifacts, the RNC must always be included as a contender. If the discussion is about compression with coloration and an "attitude", then you're talking about other compressors.

The actual performance and reliability of the RNC meet what I consider "professional quality". Not having balanced outs, dual mono, or a self contained power supply are inconveniences which diminish, but do not eliminate its value as a "pro" piece, IMO.

8. MISTERQCUE

MISTERQCUE Guest

D@mn! Makes me wanna' got out and buy another 1! Lemme' see how much I have in my left pocket $2-$3,Hmmm not enough!