1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

RNP, Sytek, SP 828 vs "The Brick"

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by heyman, Mar 2, 2005.

1. heyman

heyman Guest

I was doing a recording session last week and was recording drums. I ran out of mics for the drum kit so one of the guys brought a SM58 with him. We used the sm 58 Hanging right over the Ride cymbal, about 2 inches up and away from the bell.
    I ran that thru the RNP preamp and I was pleasantly surprised. Acutally blown away.

This was one of the nicest sounding Ride's I ever recorded. Just my 2 cents but what a great combo...

Highly recommended !!!

2. stickers

stickers Active Member

ive used a sm58 under the ride several times for live sound. Sounds fine everytime

3. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

roger that!.
    As Joe Meek has said before--(If it sounds right,it is right).
    In my personal opinion,I think that the 58 is one of the best (road worthy)live or recording mics ever :wink:

4. heyman

heyman Guest

Just curious, has anyone ever given the Sm58 a go on the Hi hat as well?. What were your impressions?

5. Operadragon

Operadragon Guest

So what is everyone's general take on the FMR RNP 8380?
    I don't have a preamp for my voiceover recording, but I'm seriously considering that one.

I've heard such good things generally, but I wanted to get some personal takes on them.

Thanks,
    Brad Venable
    Voice For Hire, LLC

6. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

I don't care for it. At that price, I prefer the GT Brick ... a "real" pre amp.

7. BigG

BigG Guest

What are your reasons Kurt? I have had great success with the RNC which is what has interested me in the RNP... and I've only heard good things about it.

8. Kurt Foster

Compressors are different than mic pres and just because a company makes a good compressor doesn't mean that they make a good mic pre (and vice versa).

I just don't care for the sound or the way the things are built (yes I have used one). There's a lot I'v already said on these pages regarding RNPs and other budget mic pres. A lot of people get upset with me when I start whipping on cheap mic pres so I will just say, do a search on my name, mic pres or "rack crap" and you will find it. :wink:

9. heyman

heyman Guest

"I don't care for it. At that price, I prefer the GT Brick ... a "real" pre amp."

Well, thats the trick here Kurt.. You are only getting one channel of the brick for the same price as a 2 channel RNP..

10. Kurt Foster

It could be a 24 channel pre ... I just don't like the build quality or the sound of the RNP.

I would prefer one channel of "real" pre instead two channels of something that I feel isn't as good anyday. I have never felt that quanity over quality was a good choice.

But if you really want to play the best value card, I would likely choose a Studio projects SP 828 ... 8 pres and a 2 channel summing mixer for about $600.

11. Kurt,

do you like the pres in the SP 828?

I'm guessing they are the same Burr Brown amps found in the Toft and Meek pres. (Grace, Sytek etc...) They probably sound good, but they don't seem like they'd be your cup of tea.

12. Kurt Foster

No, you are correct. The SP 828 is not what I usually like, but that doesn't mean that others may not like them as well. They may be just what some people are looking for. I am coming to understand that (well, comprehend it, I will never fully understand it). That said, I would be interested in taking the SP 828 out for a test drive ..

For a "best value bang for the buck" type of thing, you get a lot more from the SP 828 than from either the RNP (or the Sytek which is essentially the same topology as the 828, the Sytek does have a better power supply than the RNP or the SP 828 however).

IMO the cost and features of the SP 828 is much more in line with what it should be. I think the price of the RNP and Sytek are unjustifiably inflated, perhaps to make them appear to be better, by nature of the higher cost. It's an old marketing technique. Keep the price up and the consumer will perceive the product as better than some of the less expensive alternatives. "It's gotta be better, it costs more."

13. J-3

J-3 Active Member

So Kurt you dig the brick? As a mic pre, not a DI only, do you think it fairs well with say UA-610, Summit, Manley etc. Of course we're talking the brick here and it has zero bells and whistles and a comparison to Manley etc is pretty big shoes to fill. BUT just basic sound quality/usability do you think it's in the same ball park, same sport, or is it midget wrestleling and the Manley (etc) is russian hockey?!? I'd just love to have a couple nice tube pre's for bass mics, kick, vocals here and there etc and it shure is a cheap and easy way to go. But, (as I'm shure you'll agree) i'd rather save up more and get one of the aforementioned pre's if it's gonna stomp the brick in the end.

Cheers.................

14. Kurt Foster

I have not heard "The Brick" in action yet. Before I say too much about the Brick, I should get one and work it for a while. But it is designed and constructed in the manner that all good pre amps are.

It has a very adequate power supply, it's class A, transformer balanced and discreet construction. I suspect there's some type of op amp involved and most likely it has surface mounted electronics instead of through the board but as a cost conscious alternative to high end boutique pres, it is probably comes the closest any product designed to a price point has yet come to comparing.

15. heyman

heyman Guest

"I don't care for it. At that price, I prefer the GT Brick ... a "real" pre amp."

"I have not heard "The Brick" in action yet. Before I say too much about the Brick, I should get one and work it for a while. But it is designed and constructed in the manner that all good pre amps are."

hmmm VERY INTERESTING Kurt -

Care to revise your statement? :oops:

Gotta have a little fun at your expense...

:lol:

16. J-3

J-3 Active Member

It's cool Kurt. Anyone with experience of the brick and UA, Pendulum, Summit etc care to elaborate??? Could be the brick is a one trick poney but it could be a good sounding trick esp for the bucks.... I've "heard" that the sounds are identical to the VIPRE you just only get one setting instead of 300! If that one setting is a good all-round setting AND the above is tru then.....hell.....I'll take two please. Perhaps I'll give one a try then if it's not all that it can retire to DI box status at which it should be kick ass.

17. Kurt Foster

I just sent a request to GT for a couple review units ... let's see if they send at least one out. I'd like 2 if possible so I can check it on kick, snare and overheads ...

I was noticing that Leland Sklar has endorsed the Brick ...

No not at all .... I truly think a person can make some judgments like this without hearing. My remarks are based on the construction and design topology of the Brick vs the RNP (which I have used).

It's like making a judgment that a Harley is going to be faster than a Honda 50 .... no contest and I don't have to ride the Honda to understand the differences.

There have been a lot of very positive reports regarding the Brick from many people whose opinions I respect deeply. Based on these things, I am willing to say that the Brick is worth considering. As with all things, ymmv and you should listen / decide for yourself. :lol:

18. heyman

heyman Guest

Just having some fun with you Kurt.... I have tried GT products before and I think they do a quality job..

Btw Kurt, are you by chance related to Norm Abrams form the TV show "This old House"?

Gotcha.... :D

19. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

hmmmmmmm--------is right :shock: kinda makes you wonder----dont-it? :?

20. Kurt Foster

You're just nit picking. Again, "I truly think a person can make some judgments like this without hearing. My remarks are based on the construction and design topology of the Brick vs the RNP (which I have used).

It's like making a judgment that a Harley is going to be faster than a Honda 50 .... no contest and I don't have to ride the Honda to understand the differences.
    " I will add I don't need to ride the Harley either.

All that aside, I have heard and used the RNP, which is what I still unequivocally say I don't care for. I would recommend almost anything over the RNP. Clear enough?