1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

RNP to South Africa?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Wilde, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Wilde

Wilde Guest

I'm looking for an FMR RNP.
    Where's a good trustworhy place to order an
    RNP besides Atlas or Mercenary?

Thanks a lot.

2. David French

David French Well-Known Member

Did you ever see this? Based on that, i'd say save your money.

3. Duardo

Duardo Guest

When you say you want a good trustworthy place to order one "besides Atlas or Mercenary" are you saying that you don't think that they're trustworthy or that you want another trustworthy dealer like them?

In any case there's a list of dealers, including a few international dealers, here, and you can buy direct as well. And I wouldn't base my decision solely on a listening test put together by one person with one set of microphones...you're always best off trying it out for yourself if possible, although in your situation that may not be possible or practical.

-Duardo

4. Wilde

Wilde Guest

Hmmmm.

Thanks.

I'll listen to it later.
    Kurt foster is the only guy I have read on forums
    who disses the RNP.

In one he said it sucks because of the way its built.
    He hadn't even heard it.

I don't know if I can trust his opinion.

What are your opinions?
    Sytek better?

5. Wilde

Wilde Guest

I'm sure Atlas and Mercenary are great.

Part of their shipping policy is to always declare the
    item at full value.

I can understand it completely, but it doesn't work for me at all.
    Unless I never want to get any recordings done, ever.
    Then it's perfect.

6. Wilde

Wilde Guest

From what I read...

Everyone goes on and on about how great the
    RNP is or are these just the "deaf amateur" types?

It doesn't seem so to me.

7. David French

David French Well-Known Member

Note that I didn't mention Kurt's opinion, nor did I link to them; I merely linked to the audio examples which you can listen to and decide for yourself. That's what I did, and to my ears the RNP was slightly worse than the Mackie; however, this is only one mic and intrument combination, so it's far from a total test, but take the results as you will.

I own a Sytek MPX4a. In my experience, it provides clean, uncolored gain, and to my ears, it's been batter than cheap board pres i've used. I don't think the Sytek is anything special, but it's a good workhorse pre that won't mess up your signal.

8. jamiey

jamiey Guest

The RNP is fine, Kurt's opinion and especially those samples he posted should not be any indication as to whether or not it's a good purchase.

9. Johnson Cabasa

Johnson Cabasa Active Member

i got my rnp at humbucker music because they had free shipping and mercenary didn't but i don't know if they will ship to south aftrica you'll have to ask them i love the sound of the rnp it's one of the best clean preamps we have except for maybe the speck 5.0