1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Rode M1 vs Shure SM58

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by audiokid, Nov 24, 2010.

1. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Has anyone done a comparison between the RODE M1 and the Shure SM58?

2. ACIDMAN

ACIDMAN Active Member

No contest..........RODE M1 !!!! The 58 has "HAD IT'S DAY" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

LOL. Acid, you are an enthusiastic fellow.

4. audiokid

audiokid Staff

good news , because I've ordered 7 of them for my live rig and was hoping they will replace the SM58's. Last time I used a 58 was 10 years ago.

i

5. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Well I'll be interested in hearing your reaction. But not that interested. I've got a bunch of 58s for live use and expect them to last a long time. If I were getting a bunch of wired mics for live use they'd probably be 58s. I know the price (cheap). I know how much abuse they will take (a lot). I know where to place them relative to the monitors. I know the eq curve and how to work with it. Everyone helping with the mixing board knows the same thing. Vocalists know how to work it. I've worked with the damned things since something like 1973. Even if the M1 is "better" or I get a great deal it's going to take a lot to make it worth the change.

6. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

The 58 was introduced in 1966. It's had over 16,000 days.

7. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I've heard of someone actually putting one in a glass of beer, drying it out and it worked. I've also heard of a few good scraps as they were used for head bonker and such lol. And that they reacted very similar with proximity to the 58 including being able to eat them. Low feedback with clarity. I hear ya though. Hard to beat the worlds most popular mic but RODE is being good to me so, its a no brainer.

I've also read that 58's are not quite what they were (older ones were made better)?. True or not, they are being compared to the M1 and every review (which I don't believe one review) say's they are the better choice between the two, today.

The sad thing to all this is I don't have any 58's anymore. I actually stopped singing with them once I found the AKG 535. I have used that for myself for years. That was 20 years back.
    I kept a few around up until 10 years ago and was offered $75 each and took it. Its not been until recently did I get a new appreciation for them as a combo mic for recording electric G. There are many better mics for live IMO but the 58 is the staple and everyone knows what to expect from them.

I'm curious to know is anyone has compared the M1 for recording an electric with a Royer 121 or something like that?

If I ever get the chance to do the comparison, I'd be very upfront on what I think. No quams about saying things the way I see it.

I'll keep you all posted.