1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

RODE NT1A?

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by SASman, Jan 16, 2008.

1. SASman

SASman Active Member

Hi all, I hear a lot of differing opinion about this microphone.

Some really like the mic and some don't. Some call it crystal clear and I have
    heard some suggest that it is thin and harsh sounding.

I guess I need to hear one for myself but I would like some owners of this mic to let me know their opinions.

Thanks

2. Gib

Gib Active Member

This mic is a good utility mic for its price imo. My favorite part is the S/N ratio and how quite it is. It is a very clear mic for what it is, but can be harsh on some things. I wish it had a pad, but thats my only criticism.
    Ive recorded many diff sources with it, and the only one I really hated using it on so far was Marimbas and Xylophones.

I think you cant go wrong with it for what its capable of and what it costs. There are better and worse mics out there obviously.
    Id buy it again if I didnt already own one. I actually wish I had two.
    Hope this helps

3. BrianaW

BrianaW Active Member

I own one as well, and my opinion is "Eh". I have had it since 2000 maybe? It sounds decent up to about 2k, then there seems to be a drop and then an extremely sharp incline around 6k and up. This leads to a bit of a muffled sound with a lot of harsh sibilance when used to record vocals. I have used it in conjunction with other mics to balance things out though and it works great. A 57 or an i5 compliments it nicely. The low end on the NT1 sounds pretty good though... tight and close. The NT1 + 57 combo works nicely for tracking acoustic as well. For the price, it's definitely a decent mic, but if I were you I'd really save up a couple of hundred more and get something a little nicer. The Blue Baby Bottle maybe?

4. It is not a good vocal mic in my opinion, it's too harsh.

It's clean though and can be used for other purposes. I was very disappointed with the sound and am waiting for a Mojave Ma 200 I ordered.