1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Rode NT2?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by CoyoteTrax, Jul 9, 2005.

1. CoyoteTrax

CoyoteTrax Well-Known Member

Who likes the Rode NT2?

And what applications do you like it for most?

2. tmcconnell

tmcconnell Guest

not

I think they are too high-endy, and maybe a little brittle. I used them for overheads on a couple of records I produced in a commercial studio here (engineer liked them, and there were not a lot of other good choices). They were to goto overheads in that studio.

I thought they made the symbols sound brash.

That said, they are not bad mics - they just sound like they sound. I don't recall them having the failings of many cheap ldc's such as too much noise, or bad off axis sound.

I thought I'd heard they have been completely reengineered - so best to audition them - although, I'd be sure audition them with the intended source.

3. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

the new nt2 have the same capsule of the K2- they are completely a differnt mic- that being said, i love my K2's- i use them for vocals and 2 of them for percussion where they really shine.

4. CoyoteTrax

CoyoteTrax Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I just assumed the NT2-A would use the same diaphram as the original NT2 so I'm bummed they're not.

I've been considering buying a LOMO M1 head for the Oktava MK-012 but have heard the NT2 sounds alot like the LOMO. So I was excited to see the new NT2-A features switchable patterns and figured it was a better buy.

In light of both your comments about the 2 different versions I'm going to stick with the LOMO M1. The sound is so much like the older U87's that it's a real bargain at $380. I don't need another LDC that's bright or has exaggerated highs. The K2 can handle a diaphram that carries a bump in the highs because of the tube warmth.