1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Rode NTK into M-Audio 1010lt?....its too hot?..its too cold?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by hornkiku23, Aug 27, 2005.

1. hornkiku23

hornkiku23 Guest

I just got this setup the other day mainly to record french horn in a mix and alone for practicing.
    I guess I just assumed I would plug it in and there would be a slider on the mixer that I could control the gain with and if it was too hot I would turn it down until it is just right.
    The NTK is powered like most of you know and I plugged it into the xlr of the 1010lt and on the "standard settings" in the manual.
    I fired up soundforge and it clipped no matter what i did...so I change the jumper to the one with less input and it still clipped...then I changed to liine level and it was then too cold....

But then I fired up cubase and record with the mic in and it was much less...cubase has its own gain but to be honest it did not sound very good when I messed with the gain...
    In fact the mic does not sound as good on the horn as the usb snowball thing I return but I know that this type of mic should have much better results....
    any idea of how to set this up on a 1010lt to be able to use correctly...where should I adjust the "input?" the "gain" there is just too many places to mess with it
    thanks for any help
    Chad

2. David French

David French Well-Known Member

Are you going straight out of the NTK power supply into the soundcard? If so, this is a no-no. You need a microphone preamplifier (preamp) between them.

3. Clive Banks

Clive Banks Guest

has the microphone got a built in pad? have you tried using that?
    maybe you should get a proper external preamp.

4. hornkiku23

hornkiku23 Guest

1010lt has mic pre amps...xlr in
    I thought my descrition of the different setting would imply that this card has a preamp on it???
    people have nad success with the 1010lt on a number of microphones using its "built in mic pre amp..."

I have had some luck today swtiching the mic input to a striaght balanced line level...I still get a decent signal and the sound is clean...

but it is strange..
    I have heard rode mics are just really hot....

any other thoughts