1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Rode NTK on kickdrum?

Discussion in 'Drums' started by Sork, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Sork

Sork Active Member

Anyone tried this? It handles 152 SPL, so it shouldn't break...?

2. nandoph8

nandoph8 Active Member

have the mic, haven't tried it

3. johnwy

johnwy Well-Known Member

does it have a pad? make sure you engage the pad (like a -6dB or -10dB pad) if it has one

4. tedcrop

tedcrop Guest

I use my M147 about 1 foot in front of the kick. But watch the hole because you will be able to hear it later. I never tried the tube condenser inside the drum though.

5. bossa

bossa Active Member

I have an NT1000 Rode...large diaphram condenser, phantom power. I placed it about2 feet out from the kick on a jazz recording. It was kind of soft and didn't give any punch. I probably should have put an sm57 near the beater for a percussive sound to go with the soft bottom end.
    Hope that helps...
    Shaun
    http://www.houseofbossa.com

6. daeve

daeve Guest

i have an NTK and use it on my kicks all the time and love it. it has been quite crucial to my kick drum sounds. what i do is place my inside mic (D112) then with headphones i listen to both signals and move the NTK around till it sounds best usually 6" to a foo (or if i'm feeling lazy i'll use my ipb!) try positioning it off axis too fun things acn happen!. i find i just give my kicks the girth i’m looking for and with its crazy top end it really helps cut through the mix. i've used other LDC's (not too many though) and none provide the weight i get from the NTK. also sounds awesome combined with a 57 on a gtr cab, haven’t used it on bass cab yet heard good things though! hope this helps

daeve