1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by mannyr, May 24, 2009.

1. mannyr

mannyr Active Member

May 3, 2009
    New York City, NY
    What's with this mic? Is it even a good mic? Better than SM58? I'm going to use it for recording? Is it better or worse than the NT1A for recording? Thanks!
  2. BobRogers

BobRogers Distinguished Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Blacksburg, VA
    I have not tried (or even seen) this mic, but it is clearly just Rode putting its condenser technology in a package better for hand-held us and a tigher pattern for better live use. Shure, AT, most of the other big companies have competing units. A condenser mic "designed for recording" is usually quieter than a live sound mic - but more delicate. Many have a wider pattern to pick up more room ambiance. Since the S1 has a tighter supercardioid pattern than the NT-1A it might be better for recording a bad acoustic environment.
  3. Boswell

Boswell Distinguished Moderator Resource Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Home Page:
    The S1 is primarily a condenser mic for hand or stand use on stage, and in my view does not compete sonically with the NTxx range in a studio situation. That said, the S1 is a good mic to have in your locker if you happen get a singer in the studio who is happier working a hand-held mic than moving closer to and back from a stand-mounted one.

I have a couple of S1s that I often use for live vocals if I know I have breathy female voices to deal with. In those situations I prefer the S1 over an SM58 or a Beta58A, but the pickup pattern of the S1 usually results in a lower gain-before-feedback than with the Shures. I have found you need to use a foam pop filter with the S1, but otherwise it's an excellent value mic.
  4. Ryszard. S

Ryszard. S Active Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Siloam Spring's, Arkansas
    Thank you for input regarding Rode S1. I thinking about this mic and Sennheiser e865. But because I have NT1A and NT2A, NT3. I decide to buy Sennheiser just to try something different for ones. This will be my first stage mic and other brand. But I may buy some day Rode S1.