1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Roland VS-880

Discussion in 'Recording' started by sillyman, Apr 7, 2001.

1. sillyman

sillyman Guest

I recently just purchased a Roland VS-880 on Ebay. I'm wondering on the effects such as Mic and Amp Simulators if most people that have used this enjoy the way these effects sound, or not. I just purchased the VS8F-1 Board so it's not installed yet..I haven't actually used any of them yet. Just want some opinions from people who have used these before since I don't own any amplifiers myself..just instruments to go direct.
  2. You might want to ask this on the VS-880 forum at http://www.vsplanet.com

I'm sure there are folks there who use the sims.
  3. Curve Dominant

Curve Dominant Active Member

Apr 13, 2001

As far as I know, the 880's were always advertised as INCLUDING TWO fx cards. When I chose to buy a VS880EX, this was one of the factors I based my decision on. So if I was you, I would call the cat that you bought that unit from, and tell him to send you the two fx cards that he pulled from the unit before he shipped it to ya.

That having been said, I have been recording DI to my VS using the onboard fx's and they are great...to work with. Not phenomenal sounding, but definitely highly usable and intricately tweakable. Treat the VS like you would a real complete studio, and you will find it to be a highly efficient work environment where you can quickly produce high quality work. Treat the fx patches accordingly: spend some time with the parameters, listen closely, be patient, and get in the habit of saving your changes to the user bank of fx. There are lots of interesting fx that draw from the long history of Roland/Boss fx on those cards, and you can get really creative with them if you apply yourself.

Post again when you get those fx cards installed, and we'll update you.

4. Curve Dominant

Apr 13, 2001

I could moderate the VS forum until you get someone more qualified. I am using the 880EX, and I know it well, but I haven't any experience with the other models.

5. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff Resource Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Prince George, BC
    Home Page:
    Curve, sounds right on, welcome aboard!

I'll set you up tonight. Easter Sunday! any questions just ask.

email me a short description about yourself and I'll post it on the Roland Forum.

Thanks from all of us and all the best!

audiokid :D
  6. sillyman

sillyman Guest

I have the card installed now. This model only takes one card. The 1680 and 1880 take two. I can see there is only room for one in my machine. I've been messing with the effects and they sound great. I like the way you can tweak them like you were using a regular set of effects processors. Very interesting..More later once I get some stuff recorded.
  7. Curve Dominant

Apr 13, 2001

Sounds great. Post a new thread on the Roland forum when you're ready, and we'll get into it.