1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Rolands XV 5080 Synth/Smpl playback module

Discussion in 'Recording' started by dabmeister music, Jan 24, 2004.

1. dabmeister music

dabmeister music Active Member

I own the JV-1080 module w/ a few expansion cards. It sounds OK to me but lacks the connectivity for digital expansion. I want to see how does the 5080 fair up in the sound/performance arena against others in it's class?

2. musicalhair

musicalhair Guest

Hey Dabmeister17, I was wondering the same thing as I also have a 1080 and I like it (but what do I know, I'm a guitarist). The 5080 seems to have come down in price recently but that might mean Roland is rolling out the next big thing.

I've got 5 of the expansion cards that go into the 4 slots in the 1080 and one reason I'm thinking about adding the 5080 is to have access to all 5 at once without switching. I'm also wondering if the cards sound better out of the 5080 than the 1080.

3. mjones4th

mjones4th Active Member

Fantom X and XR

Don't know for sure, but I believe that the factory patches are different when you stick a SR-JV card into an XV synth as opposed to a JV. Also, changes in the architecture lend to a difference in the sound. Like improved effects, better converters, etc.

4. dabmeister music

Well, is there something new on the horizon that'll be hitting the streets this spring? Maybe double the current polyphony. Or better still, some sort of s/w interface catered to windows/mac users w/ the capability of editing the sounds & performance parameters. This is very interesting.

5. Mario-C.

Mario-C. Active Member

the fantom XR rack is out....

6. dabmeister music

I'm finding that Roland stopped producing the XV-5080. While there is still support, I'd like to know why they stopped production? I think this was one of their better modules for some time. Did they sell enough of them? What happened?

7. Mario-C.

Mario-C. Active Member

i'm tellin ya, the new fantom module is out ;)

8. dabmeister music

So I assume the Phatom "X" series is what's taken over on the XV series. I checked out the Phatom X w/ the color screen & 128 note polyphony. This seems to be a cool keyboard. It's funny because I really did'nt care for the Phantom some time ago. Times change.