1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Room for improvement

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Brock, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Brock

Brock Guest

While I"m just a working man who enjoys writing and recording my own music in my spare time like a lot of other people I"m forced to keep my hobbie cost as low as I can. Although my equipment produces good recordings I know they could be better. At the lowest cost to me can you suggest where I could make the biggest improvement? Can you give me product names and prices? This is a list of my equipment. [ Boss BR-864, DBX mini-pre, CAD M-179 mike, Audix OM 2 mike, Edirol MA 10A monitors,Sony RCD-W500 disk recorder, Roland GR-20 guitar synth. Ibanez guitar,Koss headphones. While I like and play all types of music most of my recordings are easy going. ie: Eagels. Van Morrison ect. thanks. Tom

2. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

Monitoring. No question. Get some nice full range monitors or nice HiFi stuff (B&W 602's are a favorite of mine - A pair and a decent amp can run you under $1,000 new).

At the very least, maybe a pair of M-Audio BX8's?

The point is, no matter what gear you have - The better you can hear it, the better you can use it.

3. Brock

Brock Guest

Thanks for the info on the monitors. I know there weak but you get what you can afford, but I will improve on then. By the way, can you tell me what you think about the ART tube mike pre-amp and comp. model 131 ? I was reading the specks on it and it looks good but I would like some input from you are someone who has used this piece. I"m glad I found this web site to get input on all types of equipment from other people who have experence with them. I just wish I"d found it a lone time ago. Thanks again!

4. tedcrop

tedcrop Guest

I don't like ART preamps. I had one and it made everything in my rack hum.

The presonus tube is OK for cheap stuff.