1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Royer Microphone Comparisons

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by audiokid, May 28, 2010.

1. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Wow, do yourselves a favour and check out all the tracks and pics here Inside The Mix:
    http://royerlabs.com/insidethemix.html Royer Ribbon Mics - Inside The Mix
    http://royerlabs.com/library/
    121, 122, 122v, SF-12, SF-24 with different pre's like Gordon, Millennia, Neve 8088 board. 1176 compressor to Trident console preamps to Chandler EMI compressor.. images with pics showing a/b/c/d . Even Coles, Schoeps CMC6-U's
    Its really excellent.

Kudo's Royer!

I want a SF-24 now.

2. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

Very cool, I'll have to visit again later when I can afford to do more than look.

3. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Same... I've been following more links with interviews now. Even though some of you can't afford these mics, its really worth digging into this website and listening and watching the clips.

The interview with Chad Cromwell Royer Labs - Chad Cromwell is excellent. He really nails the ribbon concept /comparing how they have give warmth to DAW's like 2 inch tape did before digital.

I really feel I am finally maturing as an engineer this last year and finally understanding how to make digital recording better. PT, cubase, Sonar etc, they all sound similar, (closed in and cool). If you really want to make a difference and take your DAW sound futher...
    Hybrid DAW systems/ good analog summing, ribbons mics is IMHO, really the best step forward. Add good monitors and acoustic treatment, most any DAW will sound excellent.

4. Steve@Russo

Steve@Russo Active Member

I used the sf-24 on many things, I am not a big fan of the 121 though, also audiokid has it right about summing, 2-bus lt did more for me than the switch to HD.

5. audiorebel

audiorebel Active Member

more Royer videos

The Ross Hogarth drum set-up video is also very informative and has broken out audio samples of the different mics. Check out the SF-24 on overheads. Very cool.

6. Addison-im

Addison-im Guest

Hi buddies...very cool stuff...I'll think about it if I would see my budget supporting to me!! if someone could a more affordable one....regards

7. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

But this specifically a thread on Royer. Check the other threads as there are many on ribbons.

8. audiokid

audiokid Staff

TheJackAttack and bamballo like this.
  9. audiokid

audiokid Staff

10. audiokid

audiokid Staff

OOOHHH, Listen to how sweet this is.

R122
    SF-24V
    Millennia HV-3D
    Bricasti Reverb
    -----------------------------

Never heard a trumpet sound so smooth.

TheJackAttack likes this.
  11. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I just received two R 121 today and just wanted to say, everything about Royer is first class. These came very well packaged, so neatly placed in double boxing. C/W shock mount, very useful Velcro cable tie, velvet sock and a classy wooden box with nice padding to store them in. Can't wait to use them now.

Thanks John @ Royer!

12. audiokid

audiokid Staff

13. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Royer Labs Receives Technical Grammy this weekend!

Congratulations to everyone at Royer!
    Royer Labs is getting the Technical Grammy this weekend!

Technical GRAMMY Award: Royer Labs
    GRAMMY-winning engineer/mixer Ed Cherney pays tribute to innovative ribbon microphones manufacturer

Technical GRAMMY Award: Royer Labs | GRAMMY.com

14. Jensenmann

Jensenmann Active Member

What a player, holy moly. He would sound great through anything....
    Someone should give Beyer a Grammy for still making their M160 ribbons. These mics have stood the test of time. I always(!) prefer them over the Royer 121 we have with one exception in 3 years. Royers are not my cup of tea.

15. TheJackAttack

I have heard and even played with Sandoval. He is a monster musician. I was reminded of that just today when he was the guest (rerun) on Marian McPartland's NPR show, Piano Jazz.

Chris likes this.
  16. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Thats awesome John!
    I played with this guy for a year, but it doesn't sound like that Royer or Sandoval lol.

17. TheJackAttack

I never went on tour with any of those cats. They would just come to whatever town I was in and need orchestra backup for the gig. I got on the sound crew for a couple others when the back up band didn't use a proper horn. It pays that a lot of young sound guys look down their nose at anything but their pet music genre. And have a Macgyver like rep for competence, lol. I $*^t you not, one guy said to me "Who is Ellington?"

Chris likes this.
  18. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Pathetic. Its hard to have any hope left when you see how little involved the current crop has with the past. Where do they think it all comes from.

I have such a great story with Eddie and me playing a club in Pincher Creek . Eddie, if you ever find this post, please chime in and we will laugh together.
    You are an amazing Trumpet player. It was a pleasure playing with you. Great memories.

19. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Thats so cool John! Sandoval is amazing! What a thrill.

20. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Since we are on this topic, I ended up getting a SF24 and a Millennia pre and recently sold a pair of Bricasti's. That combo with those reverbs is amazing. The above recording with Sandoval is how smooth and quick that combo really is. I had a pair of R-122 and sold them with total regret (server bills). Had a few M 160's but they didn't sound like these. But then again, I didn't have the millennia back then either. Maybe one day I'll get another one.
    Royer are wonderful microphones. Grouped with the M-2b, its why you can't stop raving about it.