1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Royer Ribbon Mics at their best!

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by audiokid, May 21, 2012.

1. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Arturo Sandoval - Dear Diz (Every Day I Think Of You)
    Living Legends, What a sound! Royer rocks man.

2. pan60

pan60 Active Member

sweet!
    cool video audiokid: )

3. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Cool video. I was talking to my sales rep at Sweetwater one day last year and he told me that Sandoval was coming in with the Royer rep that day. Jealous.

4. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

Wow. That's the first time I've wanted to buy a CD in a while. Sweet is definitely how it sounds.

5. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Royer ribbons are awesome. I can see using them for pretty much everything these days. They are so smooth and take eqing so well. I have 4 and want more. Simple as that and you can hear why. I've never used them for vocals (yet) . Has anyone here?

6. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

Lot's of examples here. Nimbus likes their Royers.

This one is pretty decent. Not my favorite song but she's got a good voice.

7. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Hiya kids. Been a busy dog these days. Three albums building in the cans and working 6-10's for real money. I got to use a Royer R-101 on a little 1967 Champ amp the other day and this will definately be my next mic purchase. I have used a an SF24 on drum overheads before and was amazed then.

8. Shanesaw

Shanesaw Active Member

Hey Dave. I have been happy with my Avantontone ribbon on guitars. But have been itching to try a Royer, what is your opinion of the Royer versus Avantone mic?. Big difference?

9. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

I also have an Avantone ribbon and I like it a lot. It has a more 'present' sound than some of the other ribbons in its price range but it isnt a Royer. There's really no way to compare them other than they use the same technology to gather sound.....ie: ribbon. The Royer is definately a step up but in defense of the Avantone, its a very very usable tool and at its price range it makes a lot of sense to have one in the tool box. I actually like it a lot on vocals.

10. leopoldolopes

leopoldolopes Active Member

I would love to have money to buy a couple of Royer Mics! Is it usual on ebay Uk and Germany to find any Royer Mics on sale!? What's the average for a Royer Mic on Euros... Loved the videos!

11. niclaus

niclaus Active Member

Hey audiokid! What model do you own??
    How do they compare to each other in your opinion??

N.

12. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I own a few R 122's and an SF-24. The SF is smoother, slightly more open sounding and sounds wonderful. I'm told the (121' vs 122's), 122 will take more preamps so thats why I chose those. They are amazing and great for everything. I would love to have an entire locker full of about 6 of everything. 121, 122, 122V and SF series. What can I say but wow.

If you are really interested, Royer has 2 CD's with all sorts of examples of their mics in sessions. Order both, they are free and well worth the listen.

Royer Microphone CDs and Downloads

13. niclaus

niclaus Active Member

Thanks audiokid.
    I sure will listen to them...

N.

14. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

The big issue with buying a ribbon motor mic off of eBait is the unknown condition of the ribbon motor. While I swear by ribbons even for classical recordings, and while modern ribbons are much more robust, a ribbon does NOT do well when drop kicked by fedex through their shipping system. My SF12 came through ebait from a Colorado recording studio. I sent it back to Royer for a checkup and new ribbon and of course had the warranty transferred as well. I am still into the SF12 for MUCH less than buying it new but that is an example. I have no idea whether the ribbon motor was shot prior to shipping but it was definitely shot when it got here. I also have a matched pair of R101's. These have a different quality of sound but are great as well even for classical especially as brass or CB or VC spots or even as a medium spaced stereo pair.

The SF12 is my main mic on any chamber music recording.

15. niclaus

niclaus Active Member

Would you also exclude online stores too!??
    I guess they are supposed to know what they do when shipping this kind of item!!
    Maybe the postman doesn't!!

16. leona.mccauley

leona.mccauley Active Member

Wonderful Video audiokid.

17. pan60

pan60 Active Member

Anytime I buy a ribbon I just always plan on it getting a trip to Mr. Kane for a re ribbon.