1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Saffire MixControl VRM usage.

Discussion in 'Composing, Producing, Arranging' started by Har, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Har

Har Active Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Soon London
    Hello. I just got my Focusrite Saffire PRO24 DSP + Shure SM7B. Pretty good stuff, but I want to know something about your experiences with their program Saffire MixControl, which was on CD along with an interface. There are some pretty interesting options (didn't check everything, but British Studio from Professional Studio is pretty interesting on voc), and I want to know about your personal favorites. Have you guys tested it on vocal recording? Which was the best in your opinion? And are there any more interesting options which will be able to make better recording sound quality?

I'd like to know also about recording technique according to Shure SM7B. Their original pop killer isn't enough, because it's thin, and it catches especially P letter. I tried to remove their pop killer, use mine and it was better. Also saw somebody using their pop killer+ himself. And how do you record?
  2. hueseph

hueseph Distinguished Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Re. VRM: I don't put any faith in these modellers. Learn to mix with your current monitors. Compare to a commercial CD in the same genre. That will probably be of more value to you. You want to train your ears, not make them more lazy.

Re. SM7B: Use a secondary pop filter. In the end though, you're probably going to want to use a high pass filter at around 100Hz. Play with the frequency. It's not going to take away too much from the vocals, I promise you. Once you have all the other elements in the mix, you're going to need to take control over those low frequencies, especially in a hip hop project.