1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Samplecell plus

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Joe Hayes, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Joe Hayes

Joe Hayes Guest

Hi,
    I have a question for those who have heard, or worked with Digidesign's Samplecell 2 plus card.
    How would you rate it given the current market of low cost hardware / software sampler options ?

2. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

We are on the Mac of course.

It is stable and sounds good and has a quick response. 32meg may seem low by todays standards and the sample libraries are not as wide spread as say Akai but there is Osmosis (fair at best)

I think the S/W interface could be so much better as it is a bit dated and in some areas is lacking. A simple drum group can be difficult. I change my screen resolution.

New Protools is coming and we lose the TDM link to SCII.

Without knowing your system and your choice of libraries it is difficult to advise.

I have two SCII's and constantly wonder if I did the right thing.

3. Linwood

Linwood Guest

I have a samplecell II card. I use it everyday. I';ve been runnig samplecell since the late 80's. My only complaint with it is that the outputs are a bit noisey. Hissy. I have to throw gates across those channels. (Big deal.) I love the interface. Very easy and fast to work with. I use it for drum and perc. sounds. 32 megs and 8 outputs works fine for that. I keep all the samples that I use often organized on my drive so i don't have to fumble around with cdroms too much. I own other samplers as well, but for smaller stuff, I'll go for cell first. For me, it's faster to set up than say my E4 or my triton w/sample.