1. Welcome to RECORDING ORG! Recording, mixing and mastering REAL MUSICIANS through use of microphones and electronic recording equipment.
  2. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Studio Samson Resolv 50a vs.Roland DM20 vs.Wharfedale DP8.1A Diam

Discussion in 'Recording' started by JLiRD808, Oct 4, 2005.

1. JLiRD808

JLiRD808 Active Member

Home Page:
    Samson Resolv 50a vs.Roland DM20 vs.Wharfedale DP8.1A Diamond Pro.

Anybody know a thing or two about these active monitors?

I'm looking for the best monitors I can buy in the $250 and below price range.

Thanks for any tips and/or advise you could provide!!!

2. tnjazz

tnjazz Active Member

I bought the Resolv 50's as a birthday/Xmas present for a family friend last year. Hooked them up in my home studio to make sure they worked properly (and because I was a little curious!) and they sounded pretty good to me. A little hyped in the mids, but definitely not bad. I'd recommend using a sub with them though, as the bass was a little thin.

Haven't used any of the others though.
    Dirk

3. jblack

jblack Guest

I use the Samson Resolv 65a's they're nice, but you need the subwoofer to accurately hear the lows.

4. shredz

shredz Active Member

Home Page:
    we use the digital roland 20s in my friends basement studio...they sound big and can get loud...I just bought the 30s for myself...havent received them yet...

5. moonbaby

moonbaby Moderator

The passive versions of the Wharfedales have been used by travelling engineers and producers for a while now. They got their "time in the sun" when that ubiquitous Yamaha NS-10s got rarer than hens teeth. I have not heard their active counterparts,
    but the build quality and heritage of the Wharfedales is way better than the other 2 brands that you listed. NONE of them will give you real bass extension to mix hip-hop or hardcore stuff on. You will want to add a sub to really hear bass cleanly.

6. JLiRD808

JLiRD808 Active Member

Home Page:
    Haha!

I got M-Audio BX8a's for $400 brand new instead!!!

Thanks for the replies. I was very concerned about covering the low end too and I didn't think I'd be able to afford 8" monitors (besides Behringers).

I thank the Lord for "hook-ups".