1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Samson Rubicon 6a vs Yamaha NS-10

Discussion in 'Recording' started by rush_boy2112, Apr 28, 2007.

1. rush_boy2112

rush_boy2112 Guest

Does the Samsoin Rubicon 6a and Yamaha NS-10 compare? Are the ns-10's worth 500 bucks or even 800?

2. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

No they do not compare. Take the used NS10s if they are in great shape. The Rubi"CONS" have a nice big hole in them.

3. Jeremy

Jeremy Active Member

See I would take the rubicons.

4. drumist69

drumist69 Active Member

What or where is that hole? I'm just curious because I've heard a lot of good about the Rubicons. Tell me what you're hearing! Andy

5. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

What you are hearing is either review hype, or just people talking out of their butts. Listen for yourself. There are huge holes in the mid section, and then a couple of sharp peaks. The bass is a bit hyped and undefined. This speaker is the exact opposite of an NS10 IMO. The strength in the NS10 is the fact that if your mids WILL translate to the outside world.

6. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

I agree. While I would definately recommend the Rubicons to someone just beginning to train their ears simply because the highs are so good, they are not in the same ballpark as the NS10's as far as a monitor to truly mix projects with. That being said, I never used my NS10's as anything more than a check point and only for the midrange translation.

A truly amazing and relatively unknown monitor is the passive Audix . Unfindable as they only made them for a short time...but with a nice Hafler on them they are really strong.

A used set of Genelecs or perhaps DynAudios are better than either of the subject speaks....