1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Say why what recording tool you use is the best !

Discussion in 'Recording' started by pcrecord, Apr 16, 2013.

1. pcrecord

pcrecord Don't you want the best recording like I do ? Well-Known Member

Share what tools work good for you and why

EDIT : Join in and tell us what tools works well for you and why!

Personnally, I'm using Sonar x2. I know it's not the best, but I know it so well. It'll take me too much time to master another software...

Lets make a list :
    - Sonar X2 : there's a lot of tools included + it's visually ok and I know it's not the best, but I know it so well. It'll take me too much time to master another software...
    - DBX Silver 576, tube preamp and tube compressor combo : it's an old unit I bought a long time ago, today I would buy 3 more if they'd still make it.
    - my old Ysm1 monitors : Those are getting old and crave for replacement, my next step !!

Your turn !

2. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Well, a very subjective topic that will be a fun and full of passion. But when it comes to DAW's, its also much like discussing Apple or PC. I love Apple but I don't use it for music anymore. I threw that out with Pro Tools and have never looked back.

Something else that needs to be included is budget and workflow. We often choose something because we have something else attached to it. Or, are forced to continue because its too late to turn back.

In 2005 I finally got fed up making decisions based on trying to keep a 50 grand house of cards standing so I threw it all away and started over. I read and researched for 5 years before investing in anything substantial. I now only invested in things that stand on their own, that look like they have a future with other products.
    Each decision I make now is based around stability and integration. Does this thing work on its own and integrate with other things. Is it a good investment and does it make my life better.

In 2010 I bought Sequoia because I am interested in recording, mixing and mastering high end acoustic and electronic music. Even though I'm not a mastering engineer, I wanted something that was considered the finest mastering program available. I am also extremely interested in electronic music so midi had to be included. I am also very interested in hybrid concepts and this is where Sequoia dominated the industry. And finally, if I even reach into the world of gaming and video, this is where Sequoia excels as well. Sequoia is a recording, mixing and mastering program that integrates with hardware and software. It is also designed around Windows, another OS that welcomes third party integration.

So, Sequoia wins hands down for the DAW. Once you use Sequoia you will never turn back. There is no need for any other DAW and very little need for additional plug-ins.
    If I take it all away, everything I have invested in today can be sold on its own. If I take all my hardware away, Sequoia still works like the day I bought into it all. Its cool as a DAW on its own and its amazing as a full blown recording, hybrid mixing and world class mastering system. The DAW is all about math and that's what Sequoia is all about.

The rest is over at the hybrid forums.

3. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

i have always used what i had to the best of my abilities ... i have been fortunate enough to acquire some of the best gear in the world at various times but i would never say that anything i have/had, is/was, "the best".

"the best" is such a subjective term. the best for who? what? what's the best for one thing might not be the best for others ... mics are a perfect example. in some cases a lowly sm57 on a guitar amp is "the best". in others a pair of 421's and a U87 in figure of 8 behind the amp and another nice LD out in the room is "the best" (makes sense for an open back amp but senseless for a Marshall cab). it's a matter of whatever works. (sorry Terry Manning).

I had a client once who was showing his girlfriend the studio .. he points to my LA2a and says, "That's the goodulator, everything you run through that thing sounds better." i smiled because i know or at least think that nothing we use really improves an audio signal ..it only modifies it. every step of processing degrades the signal.

best case; mic preamp, recording device, power amp, speaker.

that's still 5 things the signal passed through and at each step distortions, sonic footprints are introduced. IMO there's no such thing as The Best in sound or music ... Except for Louis Armstrong. He was the best.

4. pcrecord

My idea was not to open debates but rather open a sharing thread. Telling people why you use and still use certain tools might inspire some to consider these product differently.

btw, sequoia seems nice. ;)

5. pcrecord

I'm interested to know why it's the best for the users Kurt. Who knows one might say he likes that worst crapy mike from wallmart because when it hits the floor it makes a hihat sound !! I don't know :wink:
    Just share, that'll be interesting for sure.

6. audiokid

audiokid Staff

No worries on defending the term "best" we know what you mean.

The older we get, the more we realize how "not the best" we are but rather how well we are able to make do with what we have, and be satisfied. Thus, why a little cabin in the woods is calling for me. I'd be happy with that and could share a pretty cool story about my little cabin in the woods here one day.

And why I use Sequoia, it's like a little (well built) cabin in the woods to me. You can leave it as is and it will be standing for years or add onto it and make a farm that produces whatever you plant. Its all you need. Pro Tools is like Walmart to me. A big store that was focused on putting everyone else out of business.

But, I could make do with Reaper or Studio One and a StudioLive 24 and be happy as punch.

7. Kurt Foster

i'll play. i think the best speakers ever to mix with are NS10's ... not because they sound good (because they don't). because the sound so bad that if you make something sound good on them it will sound good on anything. i seen it a thousand times. no matter what size room, how it's treated or set up. mix on NS10S and your mix's will travel.

i think the best mic in the world for my voice is a SM7A. it is what works for me.

my Martin D35 is the best acoustic i have ever played.

i think tweed vintage fender deluxe's are the best sounding guitar amps ever .. bar none.

Tre' Sabateni is the best drummer i ever recorded with. my best friend John who passed away a few years back was the BEST by far of any drummers i have ever been in a band with.

ChrisH likes this.
  8. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

There is no "best"....only different.

There is "more expensive"..."more exclusive"..."more colored"..."more subtle"....etc-----> oh and "mo betta".

Having mo betta is a good thing but only if using it makes you happy and gives you the feeling you made a great choice in your money-spent department.

At a certain level, all things become equal in the physics and engineering of sound reproduction. It becomes a matter of familiarity and also one of choice-of-taste. True that different approaches in engineering bring different results with the same or similar input, but this is where the choice becomes you and what your ear wants to hear.

Take the Big Three for example. (There's actually a Big Seven but thats, again, the choice thingy)....API, Neve, SSL. ( I would add Helios, Trident, MCI, and Harrison to this mix....) Anywho....NONE of the aforementioned manufacturers build devices that don't do the job asked of them in a professional way. In the hands of highly skilled and inventive personnel they are capable of reproducing a magical vision of sorts, limited only to the ability of the end-user. They can also be quite pedestrian according to the input.

Its tools. Thats all. Tools. Some REALLY expensive tools but tools none the less.

Some tools are chosen based on a persons needs. A DAW fits this category. I chose ProTools. Other than it interfacing with hundreds of other rooms in my area, thats the only reason. Would I have chosen another had it been the DAW of choice in this area or everywhere? Yes. I have no faithfulness to a computer program. It is all 1's and 0's in the end. The difference in sound is mostly about the conversion and the clock and how these are integrated into a system. I can 'hear' the difference in systems but it makes little difference in the long run if the signal you are applying to the DAW is what you want in the first place. I know this will spark discussion and I cannot disagree with either side of this issue. But you asked about "best for me". In my business, PT is best for me. Certainly not the 'best' by any stretch.

My mic collection is becoming the 'best for me'. Every time I add something it finds a use. Every time I use something it gains yet another function. I try things on everything cause there are no rules.

My preamps collection is becoming 'the best for me'. I will add this. Whatever you do, find a signal chain that works well for specific signals and go there first time every time. I have a vocal chain that will work for me on many types of voices. Every time. Its the best for me. The mic is the biggest variable here. It should be. Its should be the personality of the vocal chain. Is this 'best for others'? I dunno, its 'best for me'. I've had opportunities at various points in my life to sample and use lots of gear. When I bought the ViPre I knew my needs were going to be met every time I plug something in to it. 'Best for me'....maybe others too, but I don't need confirmation from outside sources to make my choice okay.

Enough with the ramblin....

9. pcrecord

Reading posts that followed you, I guess we don't !! I'll try to rephrase...

10. pcrecord

That's the kind of story I was looking for. Specially this one because I'm thinking of changing my monitors. I read the NS10 were discontinued. Anyone knows a good replacement ? I really like that Idea of bad sounding monitors that makes you mix right ;)

11. Kurt Foster

well that gives you the jump on me ... it took me a couple of years to get that.

i have heard nothing as of yet that does what NS10s do ... look for a pair used EBay

12. pcrecord

Isn't risky to buy used speakers on ebay ? I'd fear they've been overdriven or modified or repared with wrong parts ??
    The only one I see who ships to canada is 829.99USD for the pair, used.

I'd rather buy new from a store. (I bought a lot online but speakers:confused:)

13. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I've always wanted a pair of NS10 but fear when they arrive the cones will be shot. Where do you get replacements?
    I also know you need a great amp to make NS10 complete. I know some get by with less desirable but a Bryston 3b would be my choice for those.

Not to side rail Kurts suggestion, because I think its a really smart choice, I mean, how many hit recordings have been mixed on NS10's. Astonishing numbers a suspect.
    If we are suggesting monitors now, I just received Opals and all I've got to say is WOW! These are awesome.
    Keep in mind, my room is pretty accurate too so that makes a difference.

14. Kurt Foster

Yamaha NS10 Replacement Woofer XN542AA0

Speaker Diaphragms, Replacement Speaker Parts,

i am sure there are lots of great speakers .. i'm looking at some KRK 6" things for my laptop rig ...

i just sold my NS10's ... truth is they need an amp and the whole thing is just too involved .. i'm looking for simple so powerd mons are in the future. but still, if you ask "what is best" (for me)?, nothing compares to NS10's.

15. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Damn, I could have gotten a pair not long ago. Thanks for sharing that link.

16. Kurt Foster

it seems there are PLENTY of replacment drivers ... the price has skyrocketed since they went out of production. there's tweets too . looks like the only things you can't buy are the cabs ...

17. pcrecord

Anyone else want to share what tool(s) makes a big difference in his/her studio ?

18. CoyoteTrax

CoyoteTrax Well-Known Member

I use a pair of JBL Control 1's for nearfield's and they're fantastic IMO.

Heavy duty magnets on those little guys, they weigh in really heavy and give you the impression that you could drop them or knock them over and they'd still keep going. Good solid sound that comes in between "good honest monitors" and "hi fi". Meaning, they're not totally flat, they are a little colored, but there's not a Hype of the lows/mids/or hi's that you can get with a lot of other monitors. My setup adds a little more color because I'm amping the monitors with a Sansui AU-505. I love that little amp but your taste may be different and there are certainly modern low-watt amps that are cleaner.

What trips me out about the JBL's is the bass is really solid, and they can handle a keen dose of power unlike some other monitors in they're category. My mixes translate pretty to the car stereo, mp3's, etc.

Here's something random about a recent discovery; I bought a pair of Dreamland mics from Wildwood mics. They're handmade in the US by a one man operation. The mic body is wood, so...wow! No cheap metallurgy resonance problems to deal with, right? I bought them through Odyssey Pro Sound and got great service. The mic is a pair of omni pattern electrets, so you get a nice stereo image from just a single mic. Use them as a pair and hard pan them and you get a fantastic image. The mics are quiet, smooth, and flattering while still offering a high level of detail. They are high impedence mics so you have to make sure your preamp can handle that; my ZED14 (for instance) doesn't handle them well at all. Through my EHX 12AY7 tube mic pre's the sound is great though, and I get a surprisingly nice sound using them with a 2i2. The 2i2 seems to dig high impedence mics. People I've talked to (on the phone - not the internet) have told me they love amping them with the Great River ME-1NV. My poor 4033's and 012's have been sitting idle since I bought the Dreamland mics. Acoustic guitar, effects percussion, guitar amps, hand percussion, even a Tambora; the mics have just chewed up everything I've thrown at them so far. Including my vocals. At $250 each, I think they're "the best".

For DAW software, I use Sonar X1 and have been a Cakewalk fan since Pro Audio 9. YMMV, but I enjoy the crap out of Sonar.

19. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

And to think I bought my Ns10's for around $300 new ( for the pair..consecutive serial numbers, LOL) back in '95 or so...

Apparently, Yamaha discontinued them after they weren't able to get the right materials anymore... as I recall, something about a protected tree or something that was used for pulp in the production of the speaker. (?)

FWIW, These days I'm using Alesis Monitor One's, and an ancient pair of JBL 44's, both powered by a Hafler Transnova.

20. Kurt Foster

yeah but now there's plenty of paper for replacement drivers at a buck and 25 ... :rolleyes: