1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Scales?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Dave Nyberg, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Dave Nyberg

Dave Nyberg Guest

Hi,

I'm a sound desinger so i know how to program synths and how to make sounds. What i now want to learn is to play a bit more instead of dealing with one sound at a time like i do when making sounds. I know the chords and that the notes they contain can be played seperately and stuff but how about scales. Can i take a scale and play it's notes as a melody? Will the keys in a scale fit with eachother? I hope this question is a bit clear :)

2. Nate Tschetter

Nate Tschetter Active Member

Howdy

Well, the basic answer to both your questions is "yes". But they're so broad in focus its hard to really give an answer that is useful.

I'd suggest looking into piano lessons. You'll get the notes under your fingers and theory in your head. Its better than reading stuff out of a book 'cos you have someone who can guide you.

3. Dave Nyberg

Dave Nyberg Guest

Yeah, i think that's the best solution because there's so much theory that one can really get lost in it hehe. Thnx for the answer. At least i know that my thoughts were in the right direction :)

Cheers

4. pmolsonmus

pmolsonmus Well-Known Member

There's some great theory software that is inexpensive, patient and can teach you quite a bit. Granted, not the same as lessons, but a good initial start.
    I use Mibac Music Lessons with my high school students who atruggle with basic theory concepts, its fairly comprehensive and works at your pace.

Good Luck, your in for a great journey

Phil

5. Dave Nyberg

Dave Nyberg Guest

Thnx for the advice Phil. I will be looking into that for sure. Yeah, i was looking around on the net and i already found that this is very interesting but also very comprehensive indeed. But it's worth it at the end :)

Thnx

6. Nate Tschetter

Howdy

If you take lessons remember that the most mundane, boring crap is important. Technique, fingering and practicing with a metronome...yawn...but a fantastic inverstment in your competency.

7. white swan

white swan Guest

Scales are important.

Especially if you are a fish! :s:

8. Nate Tschetter

Howdy

Or a drug dealer!

9. Dave Nyberg

Dave Nyberg Guest

Lol, i feel fishy ;)