1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

searching for analog-to-adat- and adat-to-analog-converter

Discussion in 'Recording' started by recordwoman, Jun 8, 2005.

1. recordwoman

recordwoman Guest

i need more OUTs/INs for my MOTU 828mk II.
    so i wanna buy an analog-to-adat- and adat-to-analog-converter (each 8 channels)!
    somebody told me the RME ADI-8 PRO is a good choice. is it...?
    are there other alternatives? maybe cheaper with the same quality ;-)

THANX in advance for your tips!
  2. ghellquist

ghellquist Guest

Check the Behringer ADA8000. For the price it is unbeatable.

3. recordwoman

recordwoman Guest

if the converters are worse than MOTUs' than i don't want this unit. the converters should be equal or better to the 828s' !
    somebody told me i can use the RME multiface as stand-alone-converter....!? could this be true...........................!?!?
  4. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Jul 2, 2002
    77 Sunset Lane.
    Alesis AI3 is a surprisingly decent 8 channel converter for about $400.

Most converters that use the ADAT protocol, are all using identical a-d/d-a chips made by Alesis, regardless of who the manufacturer is. In the case of ADAT converters, there really isn't much difference in the most expensive and the most affordable unless they are from Apogee or other high end manufacturers where superior analog circuitry and digital clocks are employed.
  5. Randyman...

Randyman... Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Houston, TX
    YES! The Multiface can be used in "Disconnect mode", and it can operate as a standalone AD/DA converter! I believe you just need the current Multiface Driver to allow "Disconnect" mode (you have to have the Multiface hooked up to the PC to initiate "Disconnect" mode, and you will need a power supply for it to operate while disconnected from the RME HDSP PCI card).

I also have the ADI-8 Pro, and I got it used for $550!!! :eek: . For that price (Retailed at $1700), I am a very happy camper :wink: . I can't compare the ADI-8 to Apogee or Lavry (I wish I could), but I'm surely happy with it for now. FWIW - I am very satisfied with the Multiface + ADI-8 Pro combo. Totalmix and the rock-solid & efficient RME drivers are the bomb IMO...

6. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2001
    I use the Ai3 and the ADA8000

these guys , on paper, have some things that look pretty cool

look for an older, cheaper model that also has the 8 channels and had the ADAT I/O
  7. Opus2000

Opus2000 Distinguished Member

Apr 7, 2001
    :shock: Now I know you're off your rocker you old ear crusted bafoon! :lol: decent converters my ass. Hee Hee

Yup...and the clock circuitry on the Alesis units are terrible

RME is a great unit to go for. Great sound and great driver/product reliabilty as well which is a huge factor when purchasing equipment.

8. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2001
    but I don't use the clock circuitry on the Alesis unit

it always slaves from the main system

if you are looking for ultra quality... then don't use the Lightpipe and stick with AES-EBU

you get what you pay for
  9. Dr_Simon

Dr_Simon Guest

I was faced with this problem and ended up getting a second 828.