1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Sebatron or Manley

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by eddies880, Apr 1, 2005.

1. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

If you had a choice of either a Manley Langevin, or, Manley dual mono or a Sebatron preamp for mainly vocals,which one would you choose :shock: ??????????-and why

2. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

when are you gunna step up the the plate and buy something eddie

3. What's your favourite colour??

Above a certain quality point, you're talking about personal preferences rather than something being 'better' than another...
    They'll all do a fine job, audio wise, just look at your wallet and your current rack gear and think about it that way...

4. ShellTones

ShellTones Guest

I dunno, but I'd like to have a Dual Vocal Combo to compliment my Seb.

I think for vocals, if you don't already have good eq and compression, the Langevin DVC might be the best purchase

5. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

I have been purchasing gear :oops: and alot of it lately-----------------but I some how or another end up with a P.O.S.!----maybe due to fact that I "didnt ask enough questions"!!!!
    Now I have to get rid of some of the gear I have,to buy some "real gear".
    So-----seeing as how youre so helpful-----------would you be interested in buying some gear from me?

6. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

7. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

The color factor is a big concern of mine----------------------the studios around here are very few and far in between so I just cant find one that easy to see if they have oneI can listen to.
    Id give anything to listen to the pres in action to make my decision. Thanks for the reply :cool:

8. ShellTones

ShellTones Guest

9. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

The only thing is what might sound good to you on one sample, in use will sound crappy. That's what the term YMMV is all about. At some point you need to "just do it". BTW, what pieces did you get that were a P.O.S? Who recommended them to you? :roll: not meeeee (I hope) :oops:

Get the Sebatron.:!: It is a little of everything you want ... it can be colored or not depending on how hard you drive it and what pad and eq settings are used.. and if you want even more of what it does you can cascade channels. :cool: :

10. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

Im too old to be pointing fingers at who recommended the p.o.s. gear I purchased-----lifes too short-----I guess you have to live and learn.
    Im so tired of f****n around with $*^t that I have to knob dick with for weeks on end to try to get what Im after.
    Does the seb come with a built in limiter?
    If you wouldnt mind-----please explain the term (cascading channels)

11. geckormf

geckormf Guest

I haven't tried the Sebtron, but we recently A-B'd a DVC against a Focusrite ISA. It was really close but in the end we went for the DVC.

The Langevin was more transparent , had better imaging and seemed to have a longer "hang"-time, ie we grabbed the tails of the signal and boosted them - the FR kind of fizzed out at the end, while the DVC just stayed clear until the tail ended. I'll check and see if we still have the samples if you'd like them posted to listen for yourself.

12. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

OK just as long as it wasn't meeeeee.

Cascading channels: With the Sebs you can take the output of one channel and run it into the di / line input of a second, third etc .... then you can drive the first channel harder and use the second to either add another gain stage or to attenuate the output of the first, just like a channel / master set up on a guitar amp. This makes the Seb very flexible. The Sebatron uses a single tube for gain and a transformer only across the input. The output is electronically balanced. This configuration allows the Sebatron vmp to go from very clean and almost completely uncolored, all the way to nasty dirty grungy. It really is one of the most flexible mic pres I have ever used.

13. YOUNGMOE

YOUNGMOE Guest

dude, you're never gonna like anything you buy!!!

good gear is godo gear, you just have to learn to manipulate it right

14. omaru

omaru Active Member

Like many others, I've asked a lot of questions in relation to Sebatron gear and how it stacks up to the well known ones.
    Recently I purchased a racked pair of Quad Eights with lovely sounding EQ, then, not long after, I purchased a second hand Sebatron stereo comp - VECQ 2000.

MMmmmmmMMMmmmm.

The Quad 8's are great, but the VECQ 2000 made such a difference to the sound of everything put through it that I now lust after a VMP 4000e. - it's a sound that turns me on.

I'd like to thank Kurt for his many positive, patient and informative responses.

If anyone has a VMP 4000e they'd like to sell, then please PM me.

I'm sold - and thanks to Kurt and recording.org

omaru

15. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

Omaru

I just got a great deal on a brand new 4000e. If you want to know more, shoot me an email.

16. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

That sounds great!-post them!

17. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

Ive purchased a large amount of gear I do like!-------and-----seeing as how I wasnt born yesterday------Im very familiar with the (manipulating factor).
    Its better to be well informed,than to get caught with youre d***k in youre hand :lol:

18. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

Now thats informative!!!!!!!!!
    If you wouldnt mind me asking---------what did you pay for youre second hand Seb?

19. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

I've heard it mentioned a few times that the VEQC2000 is some people's favorite piece of Seb equipment.
    Amazingly versatile piece.
    I'm planning on picking one up myself eventually.

But I can endorse their VMP. I only picked mine up a week ago, and have only plugged it in twice, but it has amazed me both times.

Here's a mp3 of a pre-existing session that we used for a test. The lead vocal line only was re-tracked with the 4000e. I was very pleasantly surprised at how well it warmed up the 103.

Signal chain was TLM-103 -> VMP-4000e -> Envoice (compressor section only) -> DI-Port (AD) -> DIGI001 (via S/Pdif)

Pad was on -15db, and the Air switch was engaged.

http://bastiaan.ods.org/mark/roundabout.mp3

20. eddies880

eddies880 Guest

The cascade effect sounds interesting,if you wouldnt mind me asking,for what particular reason (sound--vocals--guitar--etc)have you used the linking of sebs?