1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Seeking some advice on the Stutter effect technique

Discussion in 'Composing / Producing / Arranging' started by OKayT, Oct 26, 2011.

1. OKayT

OKayT Active Member

Greetings and salutations:

I’ve been trying to find a simple way of creating the stutter effect that is commonly used now in a lot of hip hop, pop, and even techno music. (Ex. The chorus for Britney Spears song titled I Wanna Go) I viewed a few videos on you tube but I think there’s more to the technique than just cutting the grid valued on the vocal tracks and muting every other audio region. If anyone has any tips or links to this audio technique, I would appreciate a reply. Thanks.

2. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

You're like --- SOOOOOO far off into the wrongest of wrong forums... You might want to post in a more suitable area.

3. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Hey John, I actually think OKayT is in a grey area of mastering ( Mastering / Remix) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remix and this was the sort of topics I was wondering about a few weeks ago when asking about some tools the ME use. ... No one seemed to follow me here but I felt it was an extension to creative mastering ( Is that a new term lol).
    I appreciate why it doesn't gel but can see how this X-over.
    So we don't get in you're guys space, I will start a Remix and Producers Forum and move this over if we get more interest in this sort of thing ( I hope so).

Lets welcome OKayT and see how this unfolds before I do that prematurely.

If I follow our new member (welcome) and bear with us. I'd like to ask a few questions step by step. Are your doing this during mastering or are you working with stems and/or why do you feel the mastering engineers would know this answer?

I've sampled a bar or two and processed it either ITB or OTB and then did my thing on it and then dropped it back in or added it as an effect. I'll listen to that track and get back to you on this. Lets talk about it more.

4. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I listed to the track and if it was me, I would do what you thought or even better, use a sampler to do this including way more. It sounds like this is done on the 2-bus or after it was mastered and then sent to the REMIX desk where they did what you think ITB or used a sampler as I just described.
    This sounds like the whole track is processed, not just her voice or a separate track or two in the mix. Do you have a sampler? Samplers are great tools for sound designing.

Here's the video

5. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Done. Now created a Producing and Remixing Forum and moved this to its new home.

6. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I found this, which is very basic but a good tutorial in the simple form. Using a sampler, you can use filters , modulation, pitch bends, pitch shifting, reverse and more.

Have you anything to add?

7. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

There was a trick I remember reading about in the 80's with all the techno/synth crap of the day - where they would use a drum-machine, or whatever, to open a gate on a vocoder. Of course it would be even easier in a DAW, (just add vocoder).

8. OKayT

OKayT Active Member

REPLY TO STUTTER EFFECT

Thanks for replying guys and my apologies for posting this in the wrong forum initially. To answer your first question audiokid you’re totally right I actually would do this step during the editing process not while mastering. Second, I was hoping a member of mastering engineers would have some experience with this technique that they wouldn’t mind sharing.

I took the liberty in embedding the original tutorial that I viewed on You Tube If anyone would care to take a look and provide some typo of insight. However, I see that audiokid has a similar one already embedded. audiokid can you be so kind to clarify your abbreviation of ITB/OTB. Does this jargon stand for In To Bus/ Out OF Bus?

DVDhalk out of curiosity I’m interested in finding out more about using my MPC 2000 in the way you described. Is the quality better when processed through the drum machine?

As far as sampling is concerned I know I can accomplish this effect by bringing the vocals into Reason and then rewiring Reason through Pro Tools. Nevertheless I would like to master it through the edit page of the DAW.

9. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Re MPC's I used to use my MPC to do this but its limited compared to a fully blown sampler or using a DAW to process it. Can you not sample the vocal track, truncate it to where you want it and then pad it or use the 1/4, 1/8 , 16 trigger etc to play it on your MPC 2000?

ITB = In-The-Box OTB = Out-Of-The-Box

Box meaning computer. Working in the computer or out of the computer using external hardware, samplers etc.

10. OKayT

OKayT Active Member

@audiokid. Thanks for the assistance on the stutter effect, I followed the video you posted and that technique worked a lot better than the one I was following. In regards to you second question the answer is yes, I can do that also but accomplishing the same thing without having to go out of the DAW is more advantageous for me.

Thanks for explaining the abbreviations.