1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Sennheiser MKH 80 P48 Are awesome mics!

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by thatjeffguy, Jul 20, 2010.

1. thatjeffguy

thatjeffguy Active Member

I just got finished with a session where I used two of these mics. They're borrowed, but I sure would like to own these! They are side-address small diaphragm condensers.

I put them in head-to-head position on my Blumlein bar, rotated them about 90 degrees from each other and recorded acoustic guitar in stereo.

These mics have the hottest output of any condenser I've ever used. And the set of features is mind-blowing: 5 switchable polar patterns; 3 level pad switch; 3 level 10k boost switch; 3 level 50 Hz rolloff switch.

The result was about as good a recording of acoustic guitar as I've ever done.

I've not been able to find any of these mics for sale on ebay. I'm not sure how long ago they were made/discontinued.

I'd like to figure out about what they're worth so I can make the owner an offer. Anybody have an idea?

Jeff

2. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

Well, their replacement- the MKH-800 P48 - are an astounding $5100 E A C H !!! Nice mics, Dr Sennheiser sure could make some good stuff back then! If this owner has had them sitting around
    in a closet collecting dust, offer them $500, but chances are they know what they've got...:)