1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

setting up a DAW/Mackie HUI

Discussion in 'Recording' started by sturoc, Dec 1, 2009.

1. sturoc

sturoc Active Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Colorado USA
    Bear with me as I come from the ancient analog world.
    Just got a Mackie HUI (I know it's old but was a great price) Love the layout meter bridge etc.
    Regarding the midi connections:
    If say I am using software synths / samplers via midi key controller to pc where does the HUI connect midi in / out on the pc ?
    I do have a JL Cooper MSB midi switcher/ processor in my rack But am confused on the whole midi set up for this scenario.
    Appreciate any help.
  2. song4gabriel

song4gabriel Active Member

Mar 27, 2007
    NY, USA
    Home Page:
    i think, but am not positive that a midi controller needs its own midi in and midi out and will not work in a midi "thru" set up. i could be wrong.

do you have any ports left on your msb midi switcher? if you do- set it up like this:

hui midi out into msb midi in
    msb midi out into hui midi in

then check your daw software for any driver/ updtates you might need to install for the hui
    to work with your daw.

you will need to add the hui as a controller in your daw (under preferences page for instance)
  3. sturoc

sturoc Active Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Colorado USA
    That is along the lines of what I was thinking. Since there is only one set midi in-out on the pc.
    All keybrd controllers, drum machines are thru the MSB unit this way I can route one to control the other etc...
    so seems like I could program it to keep the HUI independent of these and "solo" it to the PC.
    It is a great unit (JLC MSB) with alot of routing options so Ill give that a try.
    Thanks for the reply