1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Setting Up Publishing

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by BigTrey, Aug 9, 2007.

1. BigTrey

BigTrey Active Member

Hey RO'ers, I need some help here. I've already done a search of the forums and I'm not getting the info I am looking for, but I am a little confused. I am looking to set up my indie label with either ASCAP or BMI to act as my publisher for the music I produce for my artists and myself as a writer, since I occassionally work on my own music as well. I know that these two agencies aren't publisher, but only make sure that you are able to collect your mechanicals, my question is simple "Can I use my label to act as "publisher" when registering, and then register myself with the same agency (ASCAP/BMI)? I have been reading Passman's book (great book by the way), but I am still a litle confused about the subject. Please offer any advice that you can, and thanks in advance.

BigTrey

2. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

You will probably want to set up your publishing company as a separate entity from your label with a separate set of books. Try Eric Beall's book on setting up a publishing company.

3. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

Or........you can set your publishing company up as a subsidiary of your label.

4. BigTrey

BigTrey Active Member

Thanks fellas, I thought about that so I applied for another employer id number, so that I can set up the publishing end of my label. I appreciate it.