1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Setup for mobile recording.

Discussion in 'Recording' started by bigshum, Jan 12, 2010.

1. bigshum

bigshum Active Member

Hello all,

I am looking to invest in some gear for the purposes of mobile recording.

I am looking for a firewire interface with 8 preamps of decent quality that I can place into a 3U rack bag with the option for expanding with another preamp unit in the future. For this reason I would love the interface to have ADAT inputs. I also will have the option of using the preamps in my Yamaha MG12/4 mixer using the insert points so anything with extra jack inputs could be useful. Am I correct in saying that the insert points will be unbalanced? Are there any special issues to bear in mind in that case?

I have been looking at models from Focusrite, Audiofire and Presonus, my budget is in the £500 region.

I will be mainly recording live choirs, practicing musicians, recitals and amateur dramatic productions and recording everything into Logic on a MBP.

I currently have a pair of NT55s and plan to invest in another pair soon, if anyone could suggest a decent budget pair to supplement the NT55s that would be awesome. I have been very satisfied with the results from the NT55s especially in large spaces with the omni capsules attached. I even had ideas about purchasing a pair of ribbons at some point for the purposes of setting up a Blumlein array, if anyone has experience with this technique for recording recitals and things I would love to hear your stories.

I am mainly looking to get another pair however am open to suggestions on good mics for spotting and general purpose recording to supplement the stereo signals I will be recording.

Thanks in advance for all your help

Alex