1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Shotgun mic uses

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by MarkG, Aug 6, 2009.

1. MarkG

MarkG Guest

It is obvious that the most common application for shotgun mics is video, but does anyone use them for recording anything in the studio of a musical nature?

2. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

Musical uses? Sure...I always have my A-T shotgun handy when tracking drummers. Point it at their head and tell 'em that if they start dropping beats the "stickboy's gonna get it !"
    Seriously, I used a shotgun once on a snare for brush work... OK, but it took a bit of positioning trial-and-error to get it right. This was a fairly unique situation, and I wouldn't do it again.

3. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

All the bands I worked with would have just told you to go ahead and pull the trigger!

4. MarkG

MarkG Guest

My first thought would be using them on more percussive stuff. I doubt mine (AT 8035) could handle a straight on snare hit with a stick. Maybe congas or softer percussion though.
    I have ruled out vocals and guitars. I haven't tried them yet, but I don't think it would even be worth the time to plug it in and listen.

5. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

The problem for most percussion/drum work is that the polar pattern is SO tight, that it focuses on just one small area. This makes it great for VOs, not so good for a couple of congas...

6. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to try a shotgun mic reversed as a pseudo room mic, by pointing it at the front wall/ceiling/whatever.

You'ld have to have a lot of time, or in depth knowledge of reflection points in your room to avoid it taking a weeks worth of time to find the sweet spot reflections.

Other than that... a shotgun is is pretty much a video/VO mic.

7. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

I have a 20" aluminum parabolic dish from an obsoleted small scale microwave system that I've wanted to do that with. It would be a lot easier to find the focal point of something with that shape. (pretty much right where the old LNA would have been)