1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Should a BMI writer also set up a BMI publisher account??

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by AstoriaJams, Jul 5, 2007.

1. AstoriaJams

AstoriaJams Guest

I’m a songwriter and composer for picture. For songs that are not under a publishing contract - is it best to inform clients that I, as the writer shal receive 200% of royalties, or should I set up a publishers account with BMI and take 100% writers share (me) and 100% publishers share (also me).

are there any specific advantages when setting up a publishing company for my own music?

Is this the common way to go about representing your own music (no publishing company)?

thanks in advance

2. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

From what I've read and heard, a good, well connected, energetic publisher is well worth while. But if you can't find one who really believes in your stuff, you are better off self publishing (which is very common). The advantage of self publishing is that you get all of the publishers share of the royalties. The disadvantage is that you don't have someone else trying to sell your songs.

I'd start by reading Passman's book on the music business and then look into books specifically on self publishing. I'd also start asking around about publishers - specifically those with ties to the film industry.

3. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Sorry. Double post

4. AstoriaJams

AstoriaJams Guest

yes I've read passmans book, and tons of articles on publishing. I was just wondering if I do choose to try and keep all 200% for myself, is the best way to do that to create my own publishing company, or claim a writers share of 200%?

on the other hand, I am researching publishing companies, and would appreciate any suggestions... a good directory of publishers would be helpful (preferably free).

5. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

Something else you might want to research; there are music placement agencies that specialize in music for film & TV, typically they'll take 25-30% of any royalties for a placement they secure. The biggest benefit to having a publisher or agent is that they have the industry connections and can get your music heard by more people than you probably can yourself. There was just a screenwriter's conference here in Nashville last month, it was well attended by composers and agencies alike, lots of networking going on, you might want to see if there are similar conferences in NYC, gotta believe there are.