1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Should I be able to get lower latency w/ this setup?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by rockinrocker, Aug 19, 2007.

1. rockinrocker

rockinrocker Guest

Hi folks-

I'm running Cubase 4, Reason 3, Komplete 4 on a Dell XPS 400 w/ Pent. D and 3 gig RAM.
    3 HDD's all 7200 RPM (boot, audio files and samples).

I did a fresh install of Home when I first got the machine and have done all the tweaks from musicxp.net.

My current interface is an Echo Audiofire 12, but I was getting the same results from the Firepod that I was using before.

My largest projects are 50 or so tracks split between 10-15 VST's (mix of Reason and NI stuff) and the rest audio. Some effects, all included w/ Cubase. Though I haven't really been able to get better results with smaller projects.

The best latency I've been able to get with out stutters/clicks/pops is over 700 samples/45 ms or so of latency, which sucks.

My questions, should I be able to get lower latency with this setup?
    If so, any thoughts on how?

This has been killing me lately, and I'd rather not have to get a better computer if I don't need to, but if I don't have any other choice.....

Thanks.

also, am using the ASIO drivers

2. anonymous

anonymous Guests

HI,
    something is not right even with a Dell you should be doing better than that.

you should be able to run @ 512 buffer (12ms). or at worst 1024 (23ms)

Scott
    ADK

3. rockinrocker

rockinrocker Guest

yeah, you know, that's kinda what i thought. i mean, i realize those prefab machines aren't the greatest, but like i said, i did a fresh install of the OS and got rid of all the bloat-ware, turned off extra processes, etc.

i can't figure it out....

4. bhuvan

bhuvan Active Member

almost sounds like you're not running asio on the VST multitrack... but if you are, ...?

did you try making changes in the asio multimedia setup?