1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Should i be keeping my sub frequiencies mono?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by paradice, Nov 4, 2004.

1. paradice

paradice Guest

I have come to a point where i now need to start mxing my songs. My setup is mostly sofware based and the problem i have, or dont have is this:
    I use synths for basses , now it has come to my attention that the bases are all stereo. Most of them have some form of unison on which gives them lots more space and dynamic sound in the overall compostion. I never realised this at the time of making the song but it has occoured to me, if having this stereo spread, is my bass going to be less weak?

I used a paz analyzer to look at the freqencys of the basses and 30- 150 hz are very prominant. This can only mean good, and the actual sound of the basses are fantastic.

Should i really be looking to keep my sub frequiencies mono? ; for a better sound?

BTW its drum and bass is what i produce so angry dark bases are my flavour! :twisted:

Thanks..Tony B
  2. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Distinguished Member

Jul 18, 2004
    Chicago area, IL, USA
    Home Page:
    It's likely that the low portion of the sounds in the patches are centered already...

Just make sure you hit the "MONO" button frequently to make sure it holds together.
  3. MrPhil

MrPhil Guest

If the sounds of the basses are fantastic, and you listen to them in stereo, keep them as they are. But also check mix in mono now and then as Master said.