1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Shouldn't be thinking about it, given Xmas Credit Card

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Todzilla, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Todzilla

Todzilla Active Member

...but I'm dreaming of a new mixing console.

Currently, I have a funky hybrid of a ProMix01 with an old Fostex 1/4" 8track R2R sync'ed up with a blackface ADAT. Then I have a bunch of MIDI gear (as many as 24 channels, though never at once) sync'ed up as well.

I record a lot of one-track at a time, using a Neumann U89 through a Demeter pre-amp, relying infrequently on console for tracking.

Now I am Jonesing for a console (mostly for mixdown) that can handle 16 recorded tracks and perhaps 16 of MIDI'ed instruments.

I'd like to spend $2000 or less, so I'm looking at used gear.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Yammy 02R - nice ADAT interface, plenty of channels, automation, familiarity with Yammy digital
    Soundcraft Ghost - hard time finding 32 channels for $2K used, but I like what I've heard about this board.

I'm reluctant to go Mackie 8 bus, as I'm not convinced it is a sufficient upgrade in sound quality from my current setup.

Whaddy'all think?

2. Screws

Screws Active Member

I'm using an 02R and I like the sound I'm getting very much. If you are used to the eq and compressors on the ProMix01, the 02R's are similar in function but definitely better sounding. Add a TC Electronics UnitY card (basically an M2000 effects unit) and you'll have a ton-o-fun.

3. Linwood

Linwood Member

I using a d8b. Works for me.............

4. Todzilla

Todzilla Active Member

d8b looks cool, but there's no way I could snag one for $2K, unless I found one that "fell off the truck."

Anybody compared the Ghost to the 02R?

I know they're different beasts, but some impressions of where each excels would be helpful.

-'zilla