SIAB or Software

Discussion in 'Mixing & Editing' started by bassout, Dec 14, 2004.

1. bassout

bassout Guest

I've been involved with recordings now for a while... Now I want to invest in my own home studio. I'm trying to make the decision between software or an siab.

If siab, then I'll get a Korg d1600mkII (or Tascam 2488) w/ Acid Pro 5 on the PC.

Otherwise, I'll go with Sonar 4 Producer Edition... There's no question that Sonar can do a lot more than Acid Pro (IMO). And I'm going to invest a lot of time in learning the software in either case...

My questions are, given my willingness to master either software...
    1. does Sonar will offer a significantly better finished product (so far as sound quality is concerned)?

2. How are the mastering capabilities of Acid?

I've noticed many more plug-ins and support available for Sonar, but I'm wandering do I really need it.
  2. David French

David French Distinguished Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Oh I get it... Sudio In A Box. :)

I would place my vote on a computer as they are more flexible, expandable, and powerful. You must be willing to put up with the occasional failure however. I fyou are comfortable at a computer and know your way around hardware and software, i'd say go for it. If not, you might be happier with something less fussy.

Sonar is a nice application at a good price and is very user friendly. Let's not get into a quality discussion because all software is capable of comperable results. You should look into Cubase as well. It seems that there's a lot more going on in the VST world.
  3. bassout

bassout Guest

That's good advice, thanks. I am pretty comfortable with computers (I work for IBM) and the main thing that attracted me was the expandibility... I like recorders, but you really can't beat all of the plug-ins and extras available with software.

I've been reading up on cubase and I do like it... but I haven't been able to find much on it's mastering tools??? (not w/SL3 anyway). Is this software good for mastering & delivering clear, punchy tracks?

That was my only reason for considering Sonar above Cubase.
  4. Jeemy

Jeemy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2003
    I don't know much about its built-in mastering tools, if these are new for 3, despite having read 10-page reviews on it, I've not heard much about them.

I can only presume it has the basics i.e. multiband compressor and maximising limiter - i.e. home or amateur mastering facilities - basically maximising levels to compete with pro recordings.

As regards plugins it'll take any VST mastering plugins and there are a lot of them about, lots good, again, mostly in the home/amateur arena.

I couldn't begin to comment on the professional "real" mastering capabilities of this program but would presume it is a non-starter.

And as regards 'clear, punchy tracks' - Cubase is more than capable of handling anything that can compete with the output of the best studios in the world - but its only one part of the chain and its your job to deliver the rest to the DAW.