1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Simple recording help!!!

Discussion in 'Recording' started by mattro11roby, Feb 1, 2006.

1. mattro11roby

mattro11roby Guest

Hi, I have a fostex mr-8, and i need to record my band in a few weeks. I only have two cheap mics, buy i am lookins at some sm 57s, will they be a good choice for drums, instruments and vocals. I also need a simple mixer, because the mr-8 is only 2 track simultaneous. ANY HELP APPRECIATED.

2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

SM57s, buy them by the bag! One of the world's greatest and most versatile microphones.

Next get yourself a reasonably priced small mixer like a Beringer or a Mackie, with a few more microphone inputs.

You may also want to look into a multitrack soundcard such as many of the M-Audio units?

Now you're cooking with gas
    Ms. Remy Ann David

3. mattro11roby

mattro11roby Guest

Thanks

Your advice is appreciated. Do you have any suggestions on how to set the levels, it might be hard to do while everyone is playing, provided i can't change the levels once they are recorded.

4. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

Because of the great dynamic range and low noise floor of digital recording, I would err on the side of lower mike preamplifier gain for better headroom. I think that noise would be less of a factor than overload? With multitrack recording and isolating the sections, you can later create your own sound space with DSP. The stereo ambient microphones will also add to your stereo space.

Much luck on this interesting endeavor!

Experimental electrons
    Ms. Remy Ann David

5. jarrydn

jarrydn Guest

Recording on a low budget is great fun. Especially when you have low expectations for a project, and are then pleasantly surprised with the results.

Then you have the other surprises...like the rubber surrounds on your dads AR14 monitors ripping. Oops. Remember kids, turn down the bass on the mixer before you cup your hands over a microphone and scream :)

6. jcnoernberg

jcnoernberg Guest

Maybe even experiment with a single mic placed in a strategic location. I've dont that in the past and was very surprised how all the instruments came through nicely. Then, we did the vocals as a second track. If you can get your timing right without the singing, it will be pretty decent...

7. TeddyG

TeddyG Well-Known Member

Or, if recording "live"(Maybe at some event), set-up two(2) mics(Try different positions in front of the band, maybe out from the band a ways)and make a stereo recording. Someone in "authority"(You?) will absolutely have to sit at the recording machine, while the band does a few "run-throughs" of their loudest material and monitor levels to make sure they NEVER get into the "red"!!! Once set at a level that the LOUDEST things you do are still below the "redline", all the rest will be good enough, for now......

btw: ANY KID THAT IS NOT "IN" THE BAND(Bet you already know a kid who would be great for this, don't you?), will love to help you record - grab one to be "RECORDING ENGINEER". The whole bunch of you can learn about recording and you'll have someone who really wants to do it well, while the rest of you play...

TG