1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

SM57's and toms

Discussion in 'Drums' started by andrewcubbie, Nov 11, 2006.

1. andrewcubbie

andrewcubbie Active Member

Hello! I'm looking at getting a couple of sm57's to record my drums and guitar amp. My question is whether it is wise or not to use sm57's on Toms, and get a good full sound? I read it was great for "snares and guitar cabs". Any suggestions?

2. djrr3k

djrr3k Guest

SM57's sound great on everything...

3. stickers

stickers Active Member

they should work fine. you may need to eq the lows up a tad.

4. 57's sound OK on everything...not great. I have used them on toms with ok results. EQ is usually a pretty big factor in my resulting sound though. My rule of thumb is if you want to put a 57 on something, but want it to sound good, use a 421 instead, but in a pinch the five-sevens will work just fine for you.

Neil

5. DIGIT

DIGIT Guest

IMO they sound too thin/cold (even plasticky) on toms. They would NOT be my frist choice for toms UNLESS I was looking for that type of sound.

6. Scoobie

Scoobie Active Member

I don't care to much for the 57 on tom's either. In a live setting I use the Seenheiser e604's, or e904's(<~~have to borrow these from a friend)
    Both will work..........e904's are better. In the mix the Overheads usally have enough tom's in them.

When tracking drums I will use my 421's!

Peace...............Scoobie

7. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

We just ordered some e904's.
    Been using 57's and deffinately haven't been unhappy with them, but I know I can get better.
    Can't afford 421's at the moment, so I think the 904's will be a good compromise.
    Plus I use an e901 in the kick, an e905 on the snare top and e914's on snare bottom and hats. So it kinda rounds out the set LOL.

8. SeniorFedup

SeniorFedup Guest

shoot..... l m hearing so many good things about this ..421's

what about on amp's can they handle amplifiers as good as an sm 5 7 ?
    because im actually thinking of trading in my 2 57's for a pair of four twenty ones for my dynamics.. tell me please. is this a reasonably Sound ... idea??

9. I love 421's on guitar cabs, bass cabs, toms, Snare drum, vocals...sometimes, saxaphone... On the guitar cab, it works great WITH a 57 or something a little pinched sounding mixed together. I wouldn't trade. Just save up and have both.

Neil

10. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

Deffinately keep the 57s. There are always uses for them. Even though there are usually better options, they will always give you a more than usable result.

11. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

Definitely keep the 57's when you get the 421's. There are instances where the 421 MIGHT sound better, but the 57 will be a better choice because it will break your heart to see a 421 get the crap smacked out of it by an errant drumstick. They don't seem to take to that kind of brutality like a 57 can. But they do sound fat on toms as long as you're dealing with a pro drummer with good stick control....and who won't lie to you and SAY that mic isn't in the way, and then bashes it like he's in the World Series, and then leaves the studio with a sneer on his face because he's just stolen your girlfriend, drunk all your beer, broken that vintage Camco kick pedal beyond repair, and wrecked your Miata taking off with said girlfriend....NO, the Moon doesn't have issues...

12. djrr3k

djrr3k Guest

Now I look stupid for saying 57's are great.

Of course 421's sound amazing, but there is a bit of a price difference.

Personally, I'm a Sennheiser freak.

But... stick an RE-20 up next to it and the race is on.

13. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

Djrr3k:
    ALL of those mics you listed are great dynamics. I am an RE-20, fan, too. You do not look stupid because of supporting the 57. Maybe because your fly is open and there's toilet paper stuck to your Nikes, but not because of what you said about the 57...

14. SeniorFedup

SeniorFedup Guest

yayyy.. now on to the re-20's ! they have entered the race!!! woohoooo...

yea im definatly getting an re20 before i get a 421 . how could i have forgotten them.

or maybe ill buy two 421's first. THEN the re20 for grimey vocals and extra oomph on my open back 1x12 fender amp? ( i dont like just recording a 1/2 stack by itself.)

well i think the answer lies within the bottom of this merlot bottle. :0 )

15. oh yes the RE-20...I have one of those too...It rocks on vocals...more so than the 421 which sounds kinda boomy and less detailed as the RE-20, but for toms the 421 rocks it. Bass cabs... re20. You need all these mics.

Neil

16. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

I love 421's on all of the drums! Snare, Tom's and kick. Heck, I even have used them as overheads. Too bad I don't have enough of them. But, if I did..... OK, maybe not underneath the snare but that's all! Well... Maybe? RE20 not aggressive enough for me on drums, sometimes on kick. I almost puked when I saw an engineer once put a U47 FET inside a bass drum close to the batter! Of course it wasn't his.

Where's my diaphragm???
    Ms. Remy Ann David

17. djrr3k

djrr3k Guest

I loves me a TLM-170 in the kick. a fet 47 I'd be a bit scared.

18. andrewcubbie

andrewcubbie Active Member

Thanks for all of the replies. 'Twas very informational.

19. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

djrr3k, that's just as cruel.

Poor little microphone
    Ms. Remy Ann David

20. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

A U47 fet on kick is the shizitts...Just not INSIDE the drum.....!!! Its always been used as an enhancement kind thingy.. I like the Studio Projects B3 used in the same way...Down-low out in front of the kick with a mic inside that does all those spl's and gets that special clik of the impact. ATM25 sounds great for this as do several others.

Whatever you do....TUNE THAT THING RIGHT...k?