1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

SM58 handling noise

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Virga, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Virga

Virga Guest

I have always been a fan of cheap knockoff mics that work well: Samson, Behringer, etc., but decided that since I am pursuing serious recording endeavors now, that I should pony up and buy a 58 for once. I beatbox and make wacky noises while doing silly things with my mic and cord when I play live, and i've never had a unreasonable problem with handling noise, although it existed. Realizing that the 58 is supposedly the world standard for this issue was a motivator for my decision as well, but I have come across a slight problem: I never in my life have heard so much handling noise. I mean it's not extreme, but the slightest brush of the cord or mic casing is about 6x worse than any mic I have ever held. Could there be something wrong with the internal shock mount? Does this mic just actually suck and everyone has perpetuated a grossly exaggerated myth? Anybody else ever have this problem?
  2. vv-tim

vv-tim Guest

Sounds like you have more of a problem with the mic cord.

I was into the whole throwing/swinging the mic thing for a while and I've never had a problem with noise because of it. I did, however, ruin one of my cheaper mic cords doing it. I recommend taping it up (so that the tape pulls on the actual cord instead of the connector) if you're doing anything like that.
  3. vividsonics

vividsonics Guest

I agree that the problem could be in your mic cable. A lot of the budget type cables can cause rumble and handling noise. Try purchasing a high quality cable and see if your problem is not eliminated.
  4. Virga

Virga Guest

nope, the cord was fine; even a behringer xm8500 had infinitely better noise control. Maybe it was that particular mic, but I have decided to go with an AT AE6100 since I got it very cheap and it sounds freakin awesome!