1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Small analog mixer

Discussion in 'Recording' started by bigmac, Nov 2, 2007.

1. bigmac

bigmac Guest

hi everyone,

maby u could help me choose a good analog mixer with at least 4 preamps and di out for each channel?

I'm going to use it for recording by pluging it from the di out of each input to channel 5-8 on my 002r!

so please let me buy the right mixer :p

2. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

All the ones I mentioned in the other topic (Soundcraft, Allen and Heath, and Mackie Onyx) have direct outputs on each channel. In my opinion, between the Mackie and the Soundcraft, you'd be doing just fine either way.

Of course, you could also just get 4 channels of mic preamp and be even better off than using a mixer.

Do you need the functionality of the mixer? Or do you just need 4 additional channels into your 002r? If only 4 extra channels, don't go with a mixer.

3. bigmac

bigmac Guest

I really don't know. If i would get a mixer, i would have an eq built-in!

on the other hand, a preamp might be better sounding for recordings..

so if I would get myself a preamp, it cant be expensive and i like vintage sounds. like warm tube sound!

any recommendation?

4. dickiefunk

dickiefunk Active Member

I used to have a Soundcraft M8 and thought it was a very decent mixer for the money. There is a 4 channel version called the Soundcraft M4.

What is your budget?

5. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

Buy a used mackie 1604. I like the pre's in it better than the second draft, and more than the 24 8 Bus versions.

6. dickiefunk

dickiefunk Active Member

Other options would be :-

2x M-Audio DMP3
    RME Quad Mic

I have the M-Audio DMP3 and love it. I used the Focusrite Trakmaster Pro, SPL Golgmike 9844 and the Studio Projects VTB1 and I prefer the DMP3!

7. bigmac

bigmac Guest

my budget is not much

maby 500$

8. dickiefunk

dickiefunk Active Member

I would go for the standalone pres personally. Either of the 2 I mentioned will give you excellent quality. If you definately need eq aswell then I'd go with the Soundcraft or a secondhand Allen & Heath as these have better eq than the Mackie.