1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Small condensers mic...

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Aziel, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Aziel

Aziel Guest

Anyone can give me an advice? i have to buy a matched pair of condenser mics...what do you prefer: RODE NT5, AT 30 series, Oktava? yeah i know the KM184 are way better, but, this is my budget... ;)
  2. Aziel

Aziel Guest

I`m talking about small condensers... :D
  3. lorenzo gerace

lorenzo gerace Active Member

Jan 27, 2002

I have a matched pair of Rode NT5, and considering the price I got them for they do their job in a brilliant way; my suggestion though is to check out the AT30 serie: I have a pair of 3035 (large dia) and they really sound amazing, neutral and clean, really far beyond their "project studio" name, so I guess that even the small dia models should be up to snuff. Cannot comment on the Oktava, never tested them.

Of corse if you have the budget a pair of KM184 would be your best bet, but I stress the fact that even with less expensive mics (read AT) you can get killer results.

Hope this helps

L.G. :)
  4. AEW

AEW Guest

AKG 451B

5. Aziel

Aziel Guest

AKG 451 are a great choice, but is not in my budget...please, let stay in the low budget... :p:
  6. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Jul 2, 2002
    77 Sunset Lane.
    The Studio Projects C4 might be a viable option. I have used a pair and they sound pretty good. I am waiting for the return of a matched pair of vintage 451s I have lent out to a friend to do some comparisons. I will make a post as soon as I have something more to say.. Keep an eye out for a review on the C4s.. coming soon. Kurt
  7. Aziel

Aziel Guest

mmmm...interesting the C4 mic... :)
  8. AEW

AEW Guest

Well for small condener mics at a tight buget you can't go wrong with the Rode NT5

9. jazzgitter

jazzgitter Guest

I've heard good things about the NT5's The Oktavas I would only buy through the Soundroom (oktava.com) as they go through several quality control checks and are frequency matched as well. All for $426. I have these and they sound awesome on overheads and stereo acoustic guitar. Very big and warm sound.
  10. quartermoonpro

quartermoonpro Active Member

Jul 29, 2003
    I've been using a matched pair of Superlux SMK-H8K small condensers for overheads and they kick ass. I have to do very little eq'ing to get a great sound. They are less than the Rode and I think they sound better. Try this link for more info:

I live in Kansas City where the distributor is located. These are chinese made, but my matched pair sound great!
  11. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Distinguished Member

Oct 7, 2001
    I have a pair of the NT5's and I love them. Add a few dB's at 12K with a low Q, and you get a really sweet sound!

I also have a Superlux CMHK that I use as a backup and it does have a pretty nice sound, considering the price. I wouldn't say it was better than the NT5's...but that is a matter of opinion I suppose. It is very open, and I have been using it on the high hats when the situation warrants it...very bright and clear.
  12. Aziel

Aziel Guest

What`s the price range of the Superlux SMK-H8K ?
  13. quartermoonpro

quartermoonpro Active Member

Jul 29, 2003
    If you go to this link, they are having a sale direct from the manufacturer: http://www.superlux.us/smalldiaphragm.html
    The price is like $164.00 for the matched set plus shipping.
    Check it out!
  14. musicalhair

musicalhair Guest

I've been thinking about getting a matched pair of the Crown CM700's, they may be within your budget too. Does anyone have an opinion on these that they'd like to share?
  15. by

by Guest

the crown mics are pretty good, probably comparible to the at4051, but smoother in the top end. i dunno for sure. i'd say they're nicer then SM-81s and those oktavas! (though, those oktavas are considered awsome by lots of people it seems)
  16. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Pacific NW
    ADK SC-1....a little wider pattern than some...a true condenser...very clean and straightforward.For a bit more money the SC-T is the big brother mic.
  17. Aziel

Aziel Guest

kind of thought question... :roll: there is a Oktava deal with matched pairs, in the other hand many people likes the NT5s...someone can help me? :confused:
  18. launchpad67a

launchpad67a Guest

Hi Aziel,
    I'm a huge fan of the A.T 30 & 40 series mics. Very affordable and very good sounding. I have a 4033SE, 4040, 4035 and a Studio Projects C3. All great mics at very good prices.
    A great "preamp" is also worth its weight in gold. Even the best mics don't function properly without a great pre!!

19. Aziel

Aziel Guest

Well, i have a 4033SE too and a Focusrite Voicemaster for vocals (i know is not a great pre, but i live in Venezuela and its very difficult to afford a 2k pre) now, im trying to set up the drum kit, i want to buy a DigimaxLT and a pair of overheads mics...do u think it`s a better idea to buy another 4033 or like im thinking, buy a matched pair? :roll:
  20. launchpad67a

launchpad67a Guest

A pair of 4033's would be a great overhead set-up! And the Focusrite you own is a Top Quality piece of gear. They make some of the best pre's in the industry!!
    Use the Focusrite on Everything you record, that includes drums! It's not just a vocal preamp.

As far as the overheads, just use two of your best condensers, roll off all the low end and get some "sizzle" out of them. Use some compression and a gate, only let anything over 5K come through. It will work great.
    You don't need to run them very hot. Just below the overall drum mix should do just fine.

As far as buying a "matched pair", thats up to you. I would never do it, only because each side of the drums (or anything) is different. Matching mics won't do any good.
    BUT Good mics always make a difference, so any good mic in the right place will get you the right sound! Mic placement is key, and I think with practice/experimentation, you will find that many mics work in many places. Especially with the Focusrite you have. That is the key to your sound!!