1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

small mixer for use with external preamps

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by John Stafford, Oct 18, 2004.

1. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

Hi everyone.
    I'm interested in buying a small mixer, but don't intend to use the preamps on it. What I'm interested in is simple functions like panning and levels, as I need to use a Decca-Tree setup for some concert recordings, and want to a live mix to two channels.

I suppose what I really want to know is whether passing a signal through a reasonably priced mixer such as a Mackie VLZ will preserve its integrity, as I don't want any more noticeable degradation between preamps and converters than I can get away with.

Regards,
    John Stafford

2. sdelsolray

sdelsolray Active Member

A decent mixer for this purpose is the Rane SM82, which pretty much stays out of the way sonically, and lets you mix.

3. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestion! I hadn't looked at Rane before, but it seems to fit the bill. I want the quality of electronics to be as high as possible throughout the signal chain, and I appreciate you pointing me in this direction.

Cheers,
    John Stafford