1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Small monitors..

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by ivangough, Jan 17, 2002.

1. ivangough

ivangough Guest

I am currently running a set of NS-10's plus some Mackie monitors in my studio. I need to get a pair of small monitors like the Auratone 5c's. Are they still available anywhere and if not has anyone got some suggestions?

Ivan Gough.

2. Ivan,
    Check out the Hafler M5 monitors. I just bought a pair yesterday and love their accuracy in the mid to high freq. They are passive monitors that can handle up to 200W each.
    Allen

3. Marcelo

Marcelo Guest

Musician's friend is offering a package, two m5s and a Hafler amp for $380.-http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/rec/010820081800200069032119941620?pid=607003

4. ivangough

ivangough Guest

Thanks for the info, but the Haflers aren't what I'm after. I need a crappy speaker like the small Auratones. Maybe some of those little Radio Shack jobs. (Optimus 7's?) Anyway, more ideas anyone?

Cheers

Ivan Gough.

5. dynamo12

dynamo12 Guest

Auratone's are not crappy at all expecially with
    a nice amp. I personally like them a lot and they don't have the edginess of many small " baby speakers" If you need small speakers, as an alternative reference, you can go pretty much with everything as far as you learn/know what the speaker is telling you. JO

6. ivangough

ivangough Guest

Hehe...I thought after I posted before that crappy was a poor choice of word. The Auratones are anything but crappy! What I want is something to give me an idea how the mixes will transalate to a small 'ghetto blaster' type cd/radio.

Ivan Gough.

7. droog

droog Active Member

ivan, look up trading post online, and have a look at the audio-visual section (search for auratones)

hope they're still there

8. What I want is something to give me an idea how the mixes will transalate to a small 'ghetto blaster' type cd/radio.

I'm with you on this one...
    I've been scouring pawn shops for an older boom box with line ins... I hate that manufacturers don't put them on anymore.

Picked up some little Radio Shack 4" full range boxs a couple of years ago when they switched badges or whatever. They work pretty well.

And CDRWs are my friend...

Best of Luck!

9. ivangough

ivangough Guest

Thanks all for your suggestions. I'm gonna try the Trading Post first, then do some hunting elsewhere from there. Some of those Radio Shack spkrs would be good too...Now if I could just find a pair!

10. Steve Hudson

Steve Hudson Active Member

I have been using a pair of the Radio Shack Minimus 7's as my "little speaker reference" for a while, but feel they may be a bit too hyped in the critical high mid area (2-4kHz). The Auratone Cubes are the bomb but can't seem to find a pair...

11. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Here's something I've done from time to time - the built in speakers on my low budget TV set are about as tiny and crappy as one could find anywhere. The TV does have an audio input, fortunately - so I run my mixes through the TV speakers. If the bass distorts at low levels, i know i need to back off. If it still sounds like music, even through those POS speakers, I know the mix is in the ballpark.