1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Small portable recording device

Discussion in 'Recording' started by une, Aug 8, 2006.

1. une

une Guest

I am new to sound recording and wanted a portable device to record family gatherings (storytelling), friends playing musical instruments and singing, children talking and various environments while travelling. I just received an Olympus WS310M digital recorder and ME51S microphone that I ordered from an online shop. Maybe it is just me or I am expecting too much, but the recording results were terrible! The background hiss that is apparent when recording in a silent room is horrendous, and there are faint little electronic noises (artifacts?) apparent in the background. This is at the highest quality recording settings. I swear my Dad's 20 year old portable tape recorder had less static hiss than this thing. Needles to say I am attempting to return these devices.
    Can anyone recommend a device for me that won't create recordings that make a silent forest sound like a beach onto which waves are constantly crashing? I realize you get what you pay for and will sacrifice digital interoperability for quality if need be. I would spend around $US200 (I am in Australia). I wanted to go digital for archiving and editing purposes. Perhaps a little handheld tape recorder with a decent mic might be apt?

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

You would be lucky to get a decent recorder and microphone for that sort of money.

I would look at a second-hand minidisc recorder (from Ebay?), which is about the only place now you can find them with microphone inputs. Check the specs carefully before you choose. Then consider a single-point stereo microphone. The Sony MS957 is a good unit for this purpose, but maybe out of your price range once you have bought the recorder. There are cheaper single-point microphones available, all the way down to the Vivanco EM216.