1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

smpte to adat digital converter?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by pest1320, Apr 12, 2008.

1. pest1320

pest1320 Active Member

hows it going,
    basically i have my dishnetwork dvr digital output lightpipe which is smpte and i want to go into my motu828mk2 adat in.But i get nothing but high pitch static on all channels in cuemix.Then i found out that the dvr was smpte code and the motu is adat and not compatible.
    Is there a way around this? like a smpte to adat converter box?I can't find anything on the net.
    i currently have the L/R outs of the dvr to motu and works good but i would like to take either FL,FR,CTR,SL,SR from a 5.1 movie.
    Thanks in advance-J.Dolce

2. Kapt.Krunch

Kapt.Krunch Well-Known Member

SMPTE? Do you possibly mean S/PDIF? SMPTE is purely a timecode protocol, S/PDIF is a data transfer one (although it can also contain timecode).

I think I thought I thoughtfully thunk that. :?

Kapt.Krunch

3. pest1320

pest1320 Active Member

dvr/vcr/cbr/vbr You know what i mean! That is funny tho i was like how the hell could i have done that,but yeah thats what i was referring to.

4. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

The answer to the question -
    Can you convert from 5.1 toslink to 8 channel adat -
    Not any way that I am familiar with. In fact, IIRC, the 5.1 bitstream has copy-protection built in to one of the bits.

Your best bet would be to get some sort of preamp that will convert the 5.1 signal into 6 discrete analog signals and then record each of these to your own track and then bounce down to a AC3 encoded stream.

Of course, now it's starting to sound like we're looking at pirating movies...you're not planning on doing that, are you?

5. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

Maybe just the soundtracks...
    To get that real pirated feel you need to put the camera out of focus at the back of the room, and get a few of your friends to wave cardboard cutout people around and make loud noises with the floorboards.

6. Space

Space Well-Known Member

Do you have any cardboard cutout people ?

:)

7. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

Nope. I don't pirate movies :)

8. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

M-Audio SAM, if you can still find one.

9. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Deja Vu?

10. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member