1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

SMPTE TO MTC for logic pro 9

Discussion in 'Logic' started by Viceroy is a cat, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Viceroy is a cat

Viceroy is a cat Active Member

Hello,

I'm looking for a compatible device to work with my logic pro 9 so it can sync to my Tascam TSR-8.

i need something that will stripe smpte onto tape, then read and convert Smpte into MTC for DAW and Tape Sync.

Ive been looking at the Unitor 8 (not sure if it converts smpte to MTC) , the philip rees timecode, or maybe something from Rosendalh. Any advice on what would work with Logic Pro 9 would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

AD.

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Have a look at the JL Cooper PPS-2 unit. These can often be picked up very cheaply on Ebay, although you have to check to see if the one on offer has the later ROM (PPS-2 plus) option.

Which audio interface do you use with your DAW?

3. Viceroy is a cat

Hey Boswell,

I'm using the focusrite liquid saffire 56

4. Boswell

The Saffire 56 has MIDI I/O on the usual 5-pin DIN connectors, so that should work OK with the JL Cooper box or other SMPTE unit.

My having said earlier that the PPS-2 should be easily available on Ebay, there seems to be a drought at the moment. If you can afford to wait a week or so, it's likely that others will turn up.

5. Viceroy is a cat

Thanks man, i will give it a go.

on another note. Ive got my logic controller plugged into my midi ports, can i connect the pps-2 in a midi thru fashion?

6. Boswell

It should be OK. However, as you probably know, the more devices you have in a MIDI chain, the greater the latencies.