1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

So I've been doing my own thing lately...

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by JesterMasque, Oct 6, 2009.

1. JesterMasque

JesterMasque Active Member

...just trying to make my way and learn from people around me and from my own experiences. I have come to the conclusion that, for now, I love editing/mixing/busing in my digital world, but I am wanting analog flow in my chain like crazy! My mixes and tracks are so... stringent. You know, not just clean, but TOO clean. So now, I make a return to my home forums this time not with DAW tech problems, but for advice.

I want to incorporate a stereo analog chain for post-production/pre-mastering. Here is what I would like to see:

(All stereo I/O)
    Out from DAW -> In to 1/4" (or other?) reel-to-reel -> In to analog compressor -> In to analog parametric EQ -> In to DAW for digital rendering

What do you think about this? Will it add the bit of analog feel that I am looking for (in a general sense)?

Another question: I want to build and hand-wire the compressor and EQ. I am experienced in working on electronics and have many electrical component vendors, however I do not know how I could begin to create a schematic using X, Y, and Z parts. Where can I fill in these blanks? Are there any places that I can buy/view templates and start from there? I can make the circuit boards and rack-spaces myself as well... I just need a schematic!

I am really excited about all of this because it will be a major leap for my post-production side.

Aside from that... I have amazing news!!! I have two partners (who are AMAZING with PR and connections) and I am leasing a commercial space from a family friend for a ridiculous price! More details later...

2. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

seems fine

but I don't restrict things to just that order
    when I was using a stereo tape deck I mostly had it last in the chain

A Mastering Eng and their tool box ... and their skill

DIY EQ
    http://www.groupdiy.com
    start with the meta-meta thread in The Lab

a stereo comp and EQ requires care with matching parts and controls to retain good stereo tracking

3. JesterMasque

JesterMasque Active Member

I figured it would be good to compress and EQ the signal after it had the "analog tape" sound. But now that I think about it, the processors could go before as well to affect a "cleaner" signal.

Thanks for the link Kev! Wow, I'm already registering!! =D

And come on... I know there are a LOT of die-hard old-school people here who would love to put their two cents in! (Remy, Dave, Jim, etc... Come on guys, I respect every word that comes out of your mouths!)