1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Soft Synth Latency

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Lee Knight, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Lee Knight

Lee Knight Guest

I'm in an area that I don't know too much about. Integrating a soft synth into ACID 4.0. I think I've got everything installed just fine. The problem is serious latency. I'd read about this, but figured it might not be too bad... wrong. The setup is...

PIII 733 Mhz
    Windows 98me
    AudiomediaIII card
    Acid 4.0
    Sampletank

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. Nate Tschetter

Nate Tschetter Active Member

Howdy

What is your buffer size?

Lower buffer size = lower latency. Try playing the synth using the lowest buffer setting.

3. Lee Knight

Lee Knight Guest

People are telling me to use the Asio drivers so I've looked into this. It looks like they only work with XP. Oh boy... I need to decide if "upgrading" to XP is what I want to do. Any suggestions? I'm running Sound Forge 4.5 and 6.0, PTLE and Acid 4.0.

4. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Lee,
    I have been running Cubase 5.0 with XP Pro for about 8 or 9 months now and it has been great! I use the ASIO monotoring feature and it is absolutly latency free. Kurt

5. kevinwhitect

kevinwhitect Active Member

Upgrading to XP is HIGHLY recommended, Lee.

It is the current apex of the Microsoft product line...it has the best features of each of it's predesessors and it is more stable than any of them.

It's also what the computing world is currently designing for...the rest have been pretty much abandoned.

Kev.

6. Lee Knight

Lee Knight Guest

It sounds like XP is it then. One problem. I have a program called Vox Studio that has the file type conversion for the telphony files I use at work. Vox Studio only runs on 98. What's up with having different OS's on the same machine. Is this advisable? BTW, thanks for all your help thus far.

/ ; ^ )