1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Solution for Plosives

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Guitarfreak, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Well-Known Member

I've got my SM58 here and an external pop filter set up but I still get pretty strong plosives on the stronger syllables. I've heard of the coat hanger and pantyhose trick, but I don't want to buy a whole box of pantyhose just to use one of them... and to be blatantly honest I wouldn't be comfortable using a pair of my mothers. Let's just say that outright. Plus does it really work effectively?

2. natural

natural Active Member

Surprisingly, it works quite well.

Do you have an old speaker grill cloth lying around?
    In a pinch you could also use those little earphone covers from an old pair of headphones. You don't need a large area. Even a 1" square will work.

Try any type of open weave fabric. Some will work better than others, and still not destroy your hi end.

3. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

a crossstich hoop and the pantyhose

yes it works
    yes the more effect and the more it steals your top end

use better mic technique
    it's all a trade off

4. Guitarfreak

Ahh, good. Now that's what I was getting at :D What would you suggest that I do with the mic?

5. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

again it's all a trade off

you need the performance and you don't want to singer concentrating on the technique and forget the performance

it's all about NOT blowing into the mic
    so a simple turn across/beyond the end of the mc

pulling back and redirecting can make a great difference

this all helps and can help the compressor not get overly triggered
    then allows you to pull back on the compressor setting and still keep inside the headroom

many time the obvious stuff does work
    finding the balance is where ALL the skill is
    and it comes from experience

reading and talking about it is good
    BUT
    get out there and DO IT
    practice
    trial and error
    do it again
    learn

I can't sing
    but I do get on the mic with the headphones and make horrible noises
    !!!!!!!
    same goes for playing the instruments

recording a pop song can be much about telling a lie
    finding just the right way to do it is the secret

think of popular movies
    there are NOT documentaries

and even the documentaries are getting more and more stylized and skilled at the using the medium

6. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

"I can't sing but I do get on the mic with the headphones and make horrible noises !!!!!!! same goes for playing the instruments "

Man, I know the feeling.
    Clickety hummmna whooOOOooOOoo, beats muso's tapping the mic grill with two fingers any day.

7. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

Don't buy pantyhose. Use the kneehighs. They're much more comfortable.....I mean, less wasteful. I would use them both....on the cross stitch hoop. It could also be your technique. You want to sing across the angled edge of the mic not directly into it.

8. Guitarfreak

Yeah I think that it might have been my positioning. I kind of had to sacrifice perfect positioning to be able to use the pop filter. The arm on the filter isn't really that long so I think I had to put the mic down a few inches, and most likely ended up singing more straight in than I should have even though the mic was tilted. I don't get to track this kind of stuff that often, I really only got a small shot at it today because my parents went shopping leaving me home alone, which happens very rarely because my dad usually picks up the groceries on his way home from work. Anyway, this was fun though. It was as much an experiment for me as it was for my gear. Always fun to test your limits.